DIY tank... even if you can't weld

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I am now informed by a friend that he has some 3" aluminium dinghy mast tube, so here we go now thinking about fuel resistant adhesives and sealants.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
JB weld had or has a gas tank epoxy. I used it on a chev tank that got a hole punched into it, Held up well until i sold it 4 years later................Curt

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I once made a cylinder tank out of a really wide (2 inch plus) aluminum softball bat. Used Alumaweld. Pics should still be in my album. I used it before I decided to make the bigger slab-sided tank I have on Tempus now.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It has been around for years and years. There was someone a couple of years ago on here calling me a liar and an idiot for believing in such things. This is in spite of the majority of modern 2 stroke race pipes using the technique.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
And all I knew was to take 3 stories worth of garden hose and empty the contents of a gallon gas can (filled with water mind you) out the window, this to see the can implode (crush flat).

I think though that forming of metal might be better behind a safe viewing area, where the video is made, maybe looking at it remote should all seams come apart.

MT

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Woke up thinking about this, MT. If over pressured, wouldn't just go "Pfffttt" and stop filling? I dunno and would be fun to try and blow one up just to see. Thinking it would just find the weakest spot and blow that out and not go off like pipe bomb?
But try it from around a corner cowering behind a blast shield and under a desk, lol.

We need the mythbusters!

edit; found this https://www.google.com/search?q=hyd...%2Farticle.aspx%3Farticleid%3D1426545;333;215

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There are videos if you search demonstrating the difference between using air and water. With air, when a leak happens, it carries on expanding in an explosion. With lovely incompressible water, you develop a piddly little leak. That's all. No Bang, just a dribble.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
When they do HYDRO STATIC testing on compressed air tanks (like SCUBA) they fill with water as it is incompressible essentially.

The tanks are measure prior, while, and after. They are supposed to only stretch the diameter (or something) and then go back close to the original measurement. They pass if go don't stretch too much and go close to the original enough, otherwise fail.

They probably also have the tank already dunked in another open bath tank of water in case it gives way to stop some of the exploding force.

Filling of SCUBA tanks with air, they get hot due to the compression, so they also should have them in water bath for both filling better and safety. Otherwise filling very slowly does it, but still with out the water bath there is more for risk if burst.

Maybe the metal being formed this way could also be submerged in a open tank of water, just in case the whole seam rips or shrapnel is formed.

Probably would have heard of accidents, but maybe not?

MT

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There simply aren't any accidents except water might go somewhere electrical. That's it, it's the beauty of simplicity.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Hello all who want a custom tank! I didn't want to settle for an ebay tank...

I currently live in an apartment with minimal fabricating tools, and neighbors who complain about everything.
Metal working CAN and WILL be done, by golly.

Here is a thread I am making on my homemade tank for this project.

With some tin snips, vice grips, and a little bit of sweet talking I have come up with a fully custom designed tank. Here you can see my process, maybe it will help you in some way!

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57904

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
As I dont need a gas tank I was wondering what to do with the space for it on a worksman cycle Im planning on upgrading my current frame to. Methinks Ill use this to make some sort of faux tank that is actually a compartment for the bike cover that I've currently got bungied to the frame.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
I have not really decided what to make it out of, I dont really have any experience with Fiberglass, and I hear it gets damaged easily by comparison.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
As I dont need a gas tank I was wondering what to do with the space for it on a worksman cycle Im planning on upgrading my current frame to. Methinks Ill use this to make some sort of faux tank that is actually a compartment for the bike cover that I've currently got bungied to the frame.
That sounds pretty cool, Semaj. Could do some great stuff.

For simplicity, I'd consider wood. Wiggle wood could be curved. Filler cap would look so cool. Could even add a glass bowl fuel filter for a vintage look.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
That probably is going to be the simplest solution Dan. If I add to many schnazy bits Im gonna have to start Making Loud motor noises with my mouth whenever I lock eyes with someone at a light.... who am I kidding? I already do that :D