New to motor biking.

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Chopper Mech ehh? Cool, welcome to the forum.

With your knowledge of mechanically transferring rotational force you should be a natural at jackshafting a left side engine output to the right side to tie it into the pedal drive system.

What are you looking to build?

Billy1981

Nov 2, 2013
Kinder, La.
I'm not sure what I want to build. I want a vintage style bike in the style of E. R. Thomas, but I don't know where to start. Can I just buy any bike and put a motor on it? I'm about 250# so would I need a bigger motor? Thanks

Tang

Sep 29, 2013
Indianapolis
2 stroke or 4 stroke. 2 stroke can fit almost anything. 4 stroke is a little harder to fit. Best thing to do is check the diff threads out. Also type in motorized bicycle into google. You'll get some good pictures to get ideas from. Weight does somewhat slow ya down, but how fast ya looking to go.whats your knowlage of building from scratch and how soon do ya want or need this bike.

usflg

Last edited:

Billy1981

Nov 2, 2013
Kinder, La.
I'm looking to go about 35-40mph just to cruise around town. I've never built one so I don't my skill level. I am a helicopter mechanic so I do have knowledge and know I can do it. I was thinking about buying a motor kit? I'm in no hurry, I've been looking at bikes for a while and think it would be a fun hobby. Thanks.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Billy,
Welcome to our community. My advice would be to use the search feature and look for answers to any questions you might have. All of your concerns have been covered numerous times but if you fail to find an answer feel free to ask.

35 to 40 is actually on the high end of the performance scale for a simple, unmodified motorized bicycle. It is not unachievable but 25 to 30 is a more reasonable goal for a new builder and a stock engine kit. As was said, weight does play into the performance but there are many builders/members here in your weight catagory who have little trouble attaining the speeds in the mid to high 30s.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to build and if we can help.

Oh, and if helicopters were meant to fly, they'd have wings :)

Tom

Tang

Sep 29, 2013
Indianapolis
Also the laws of your state will say how fast ya can go before registering and plating. Kit engines are ok, the extra parts in them are junk. The throttle I upgraded, assembly bolts are low grade crap. I'm learning alot from my first mob build. With this for I'm going to upgrade to a 79 cc pred.
Motor when I get time and money.

Like they say. "The sky is the Limits"
.flg.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm not sure what I want to build. I want a vintage style bike in the style of E. R. Thomas, but I don't know where to start. Can I just buy any bike and put a motor on it? I'm about 250# so would I need a bigger motor? Thanks
You will need a good bike frame.
You didn't mention your riding needs like duration and number of trips per day or terrain so motor and drive train type and budget to fit you are still unknown so all tips are useless as different types fit different needs and budgets.

Billy1981

Nov 2, 2013
Kinder, La.
My riding needs would just be riding on paved roads to maybe check the mail or pick up some groceries. Probably be about a ten minute one way trip from my house to the store. Thanks.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I'm looking to go about 35-40mph just to cruise around town. I've never built one so I don't my skill level. I am a helicopter mechanic so I do have knowledge and know I can do it. I was thinking about buying a motor kit? I'm in no hurry, I've been looking at bikes for a while and think it would be a fun hobby. Thanks.
Hi Billy,

A cruising speed of 35 to 40mph will require a top speed of 45 to 50mph. It won't be easy, it won't be cheap, and it won't be as reliable as you think. Bicycles are not designed for those kinds of sustained speeds. Remember your first build is a learning experience and the learning curve is steep... My advise is to take your time, be very patient, learn as much as you can and apply that experience to the next build.

I'm a toolmaker and a biker (motorcycles), I thought it would be easy to build a motorized bicycle. Way to much money, many headaches and delays, and 5 months later I finished my first bike. My goal was 35mph top speed. I got what I wanted and I'm very satisfied, but I rarely go full throttle it's just to much strain on the little engine. The bike cruises real nice at 25mph. Hope this helps we are all here for you.

Attachments

Billy1981

Nov 2, 2013
Kinder, La.
Thanks everyone. I am gathering that my cruise speed is a little high for my first build. I am perfectly satisfied with cruising at 25mph. It's not like I'm taking it on the interstate lol. Just cruising around town.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Welcome Billy! Working for PHI? These bikes are fun and sometimes challenging to work on. But at least you don't have to track and ballance the wheels.laff