Engine squeaking and black crud.

GoldenMotor.com

Peebs

Oct 23, 2013
Colorado
This two-stroke engine is the first experience I've had working with an engine of any sort so I'm still learning the ins and outs of maintenance and how it functions.
My problems with it began when I noticed a film of black residue appearing around the head of the engine. I then tightened the bolts on the head as well as the spark plug and had assumed it would be good from there on out. It wasn't.
The film returned but I didn't notice much difference it performance for the time being.
About two weeks in I had made the mistake of engaging my clutch while going about 12 mph and heard a squealing squeaky noise coming from the engine and felt the bike resist forward momentum while it was making this noise. I then realized that the clutch was catching the drive sprocket even when I had the clutch lever pulled in and locked. It was not much, but enough to confuse me whenever I tried stopping. I increased the tension on the clutch cable and things worked for a day before the catching began again. I fixed it. Now it's back.
Not only that but now whenever I am trying to push-start the bike I can feel resistance and hear a that squeak in the engine.
Unfortunately, I've noticed a substantial decrease in power that has come since the part of the engine where the drive sprocket began squeaking. Would anybody be able to help me understand what has happened or at least point me in the right direction of solving these two problems with this bike? It would be much appreciated.

Peebs

Oct 23, 2013
Colorado
Thank you, I'll give that a read. I'd also like to mention that if I pull the clutch lever in as far as it will go it seems to solve the problem as long as it's held in position, though I can't imagine the tension is lessening as it appears exactly the same on the clutch arm and I tightened it what I feel was excessively.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
also check ur flower nut...open the bigger panel and remove set screw...tighten wierd looking nut all the way with clutch lever pulled in...then back out 2 notches on said screw...put set screw in and start bike...adjust as necessary...also lube up the bucking bar and ball bearing...

when tightening the knarp on clutch cable also bend cable upwards to help avoid slippage...

good luck

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Clutch cable stretch is common with the kit supplied cables. Readjusting them will be necessary for a while. Hint: When parked, leave the clutch lever in the locked (disengaged) position to hasten the stretch and reduce the times it will need readjusting.

As for the noise, I'd agree that it is probably from insufficient lubrication of the clutch actuating mechanism. The cam, bucking bar and ball bearing need a liberal coating of good quality bearing grease. What some folks don't realize is, that the ball bearing and bucking bar are pressed against a rotating portion of the engine's clutch and are subjected to friction whenever the engine is running. That's the reason lubrication is essential and a source of noise (squealing) if not properly lubricated.

Tom

boocher13

Aug 13, 2013
manchester,ct
You said you tightened the head bolts down. Did you torque them using a torque wrench? If not you can damage the engine. The head bolts need to be torqued evenly and to spec. 12 ft/lbs should be good.