New here and new to Motorized Bicycles

GoldenMotor.com

sactownie

Jul 20, 2013
sacramento ca
Hi all, thought id introduce myself, i'm dan from sacramento ca.
Currently in the process of putting together my 1st motor bicycle. I got the 2 stroke chinese in frame engine, just waiting for a sbp shift kit and some other odds and ends.

ty66nova

Jul 20, 2013
texas
Re: New here and new to MB

hey, I was wondering if you knew how I can modify my engine (I have a 66cc flying horse black angle) to be able to take off without pedaling. thanks!

sactownie

Jul 20, 2013
sacramento ca

supposedly the shift kit i'm installing will let you do that in 1st gear. My bike has a 30 tooth 1st cog.
Yea my bike is a 99 model Marin, got it 2nd hand off craigslist a couple months ago. Went on my 1st ride in about 10 years and got completely winded on just minor hills and I decided then I want a motor.
Was going to do electric since I don't mind actually peddling but the cost of batteries for those and having to replace them in short amount of times led me to the 2 stroke.
I found out that the kits rag joint sprocket will in no way hold up to my 6'5" 300+ lbs so was going to get a clamshell adaptor then come to find out thats 1/2 the cost of the shift kit which gives the ability to climb hills even with my weight and still be able to cruise so a shift kit it is.
Just waiting on that, ordered it friday evening. I got the 2 stroke motor from enginesonlineshop for $152 shipped to my door. Not bad especially considering I couldn't find anyone else to ship to me in the great state of california, LOL.
Anyway I think this will be pretty straight forward, the only thing I need to modify that I know of so far is the front engine mount.
My down tube is a OVAL shape, meaning it is longer then it is wider. The mount from the engine, the tube fits in there but there is a lot of space wich i plan on using some PC-7 Paste Epoxy and saran wrap to fill that gap then I just need slightly longer studs in the motor mount.
The rear mount is perfect, well I mean with just the engine but I cant mock it up yet till I get the shift kit that actually mounts to the frame it looks like.
Anyway heres a pic of the bike im putting together.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX

Welcome to the forum. Glad you were able to keep your NBA team in Sac Town.

fredric3144

Oct 22, 2012
lufkin tx

I had the same mount problem I mounted a 1" pipe to my motor then put it on the bike using screw hose clamps on each end . I also replaced the mounting studs sent with the motor with some all thread bolts of a higher grade than those with the kit as the kit ones kept breaking off even with the motor

sactownie

Jul 20, 2013
sacramento ca

Yea I ordered the upgraded bolt/stud kit along with the shift kit from sbp. Ive tried to cover all my bases on this the 1st time. Only thing I haven't done or ordered yet is head bolt studs/nuts.
I may go to the hardware store and get some allthread and nuts before I complete the install. I don't have a torque wrench yet so I may just wait on those till I get one.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN

I've got a custom built 5 speed 34, 28, 24, 20, 16 freewheel on my bike. I use a 33 cc 4 stroke engine with a shiftkit and autoshift derailleur. Yes that means my bike shifts 5 gears automatically. I'm 250 lbs and can go up 30% grade hills. To conclude your shiftkit is going to make your bike very versatile.