what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Rode for about three hours.

Got close to home, lost a lot of power.

Limped her home and took her apart.

A disintegrated needle bearing wreaked havoc on my piston and cylinder wall.

Good bye top end. :(

So, where's the best, cheapest, and fastest shipping place to buy one?

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Dare I say the wretched name? BoyGoFast is the cheapeast parts and fastest shipper. I've got stuff in as little as 3 days.
fatdaddy.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago

don't buy the stock needle bearing again! get a good one from skf or rocksolidengines.com. the stock bearing is too short and can drift from one side of the piston pin to the other and doesn't have full contact with the connecting rod, this is a common reason they fail. stock is 13 mm wide, get one 15 or 16 wide. you will spend $10 for a good one, $25 for the best. search around a little.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

One thing after another, huh bo???

Take it ez for a bit!

I've been told vibration will keep bones from knitting... kinda makes sense to me...
Of course I'm not the most sensible person around!

Best
rc

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Okay. In the beginning I wasn't all that willing to post pics on my new tank because I was of the opinion that others on the forum can teach this better and have been doing it longer. I still believe that, but I decided I would at least post a couple. The first is from after I finished brazing it together and before sanding and grinding. The second is after painting. Now I have to find a nice sunny afternoon to install it. Have to apologize here: they are cell phone pics, zoomed in and slightly pixelated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Wow Allen Wrench that tank came out good!! We may start poring in orders for them:)

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I don't know what I did yet to my motor bicycle today, but I sure as **** want to get some of that Alumiweld.
Stuff seems amazing, and what I could do and make with it, could eliminate a lot of clamps, nuts and bolts.
I even foresee a new intake pipe being rigged up. Right now I have a copper elbow tube silver soldered, fiberglassed, wired and JB welded offset intake.

Give me a aluminum pipe and a flat piece and the world can be mine!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Alumiweld is not as strong as actual tig or heli-arc welding. It is more like soldering really.
Any structural, load bearing part that relies on the strength of the weld may fail if Alumiwelded. Since there is no real stress on a fuel tank other than containing fuel I doubt that there will be any problems. Allen Wrench's tank is the "guinea pig" on this method of fabrication.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana

Thanks for all the advice about the bearing. I'll see what's out there.

Maybe it's best that it broke down when it did. I probably shouldn't be riding right now.

Thanks Rusty, and Monkey Wrench, and Fatdaddy. I appreciate the advice.

I was wondering about vibration vs. bone healing. Google will let me know.

Well, I'll just have to be a spectator on here for a while.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Okay. In the beginning I wasn't all that willing to post pics on my new tank because I was of the opinion that others on the forum can teach this better and have been doing it longer. I still believe that, but I decided I would at least post a couple. The first is from after I finished brazing it together and before sanding and grinding. The second is after painting. Now I have to find a nice sunny afternoon to install it. Have to apologize here: they are cell phone pics, zoomed in and slightly pixelated.
Don't EVER worry about what someone else is doing or if they can do it "better". BRO, It's your bike, Do it YOUR way. Scr*w people that think their better. They weren't BORN with any kind of knowledge. They ALL started somewhere.
And I think yer tank came out SCREAMING, Though I am intrested to see how the alumiweld holds up too. Keep us posted. GOOD JOB.
fatdaddy.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

I don't know what I did yet to my motor bicycle today, but I sure as **** want to get some of that Alumiweld.
Stuff seems amazing, and what I could do and make with it, could eliminate a lot of clamps, nuts and bolts.
I even foresee a new intake pipe being rigged up. Right now I have a copper elbow tube silver soldered, fiberglassed, wired and JB welded offset intake.

Give me a aluminum pipe and a flat piece and the world can be mine!
As is mentioned in later posts, you won't want to use Alumaweld on any load-bearing member. It isn't much stronger than soft aluminum. And if you do use it for anything, practice, practice, practice first. This is important; it can be tempermental to use. I got mine at Harbor Freight. You can also get it online. I'll keep everyone informed as to how well the tank holds up.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Well I think the tank looks really good, AW !
I hope it's safe.
I can't see where a motorized blazing inferno would be a lotta fun!
Good luck
rc

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Don't EVER worry about what someone else is doing or if they can do it "better". BRO, It's your bike, Do it YOUR way. Scr*w people that think their better. They weren't BORN with any kind of knowledge. They ALL started somewhere.
And I think yer tank came out SCREAMING, Though I am intrested to see how the alumiweld holds up too. Keep us posted. GOOD JOB.
fatdaddy.
Thanks for the compliments. Truly though, I really am new to the business of fuel tank fabricating. I was going slow and careful. And I don't have the first clue how to teach somebody how to do this.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Wow Allen Wrench that tank came out good!! We may start poring in orders for them:)
Oh please! Not yet! This is only the second tank I've ever made. I was making it a bit on the sturdy side so I wouldn't have to make another. (Now I know why these things are expensive.)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

Well I think the tank looks really good, AW !
I hope it's safe.
I can't see where a motorized blazing inferno would be a lotta fun!
Good luck
rc
Neither can I. That's why it has a double coating of Caswell epoxy liner. And thanks for the commpliment.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

I had been on the look out for a new job. Was a little burnt out on automobile work after 15 years of it. Found a add in a small engine shop. 21 dollars an hour commission. I took up my resume in and talked with the guy for a while. He seamed real down to earth and honest. He kept telling me that he had a great many Auto mechanics come through and they were over their heads quick.

Conversation came up to references. I gave my references and said I also had a physical reference right outside the door. Before I came down I had detailed my old BoXer from one end to the other including wax and polish. Bike look like it had not seen a day's riding..

Oh man this guy was hard to impress. Readily apparent he had seen some bikes come and go and was pretty frank about not wanting to see. All I could say was you will not see another like this one again...

So he finally came out with me. The guy was on his knees right away close enough to get his face bumped into it. I brought a good reference!!:) We talked over the machine. I told where I got it from Dean and what all I had done to it. Tech talk and all.

Scouts honest truth when I started it up for him just on hit of the kick starter. His first exclamation was Wow this thing is quite. I thought it would be louder than this..

Any way today was my first day at work. Oh boy a bit hectic as I was a little nervous and wanted this job a lot! It is only 3 miles to get there! That guy watched me like a hawk all day!! lol. Can't blame him.. I got all my educate in prospective order, and did great my first day.. This place is bouncing off the walls crazy busy!! (^)

There was one lonely little H.T. M.B. sitting in the corner nobody has got to it yet.;)

I get to work on Weed Whackers to Motocross dirt bikes. A lot of versatility here.

KANNONBALL13

Apr 10, 2012
Loveland Colorado

I switched out from 44 to a 40 tooth, and now ride at around 25-30mph. I added a analog speedo, and now I have a weird whine, and am about to upgrade my airfilter and position from out behind the bicycle. I am stripping a silencer to build a baffle for a bannana pipe that has no baffle, and will be complete. The airfilter and pipe will be finished this weekend!