2-stroke + 2-stroke = 4-stroke!

GoldenMotor.com

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
A 2-stroke + a 2-stroke = a 4-stroke......doesn't it? Well kinda, but not really. It's kinda funny to me how being such a 2-stroke lover most of my life (and believe when I say this, or don't), when I was a kid from age 9, to about 30yrs. young, I really hated 4-strokes. I'm not joking here....not even a little.

Any clue as to what happend to my thinking over the past 20+ years of why i've gone strictly to building 4-strokes? Who really cares, right? Just a little something to ponder over to why people love their 2-strokes and other people love their 4-strokes......and those that love both. I don't really care about what you did to your motorized bike today nearly as much as what I'm doing to mine tomorrow.

Why do you like 2-strokes......and why do you like 4-strokes????

dnut

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Ifn it goes, me likie :D

Two strokes = unparalleled power to weight
Four strokes = reliability & efficiency

Ofc, I'll play with anything frm airplanes to riding lawnmowers... I ain't picky lol

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Me, I think it's a "comfort zone" thing. I've worked a lot on two-smokers and could probably do it in my sleep by now. I'm sure I could manage on a four stroke, but I also like how the China Girls look in a bike frame - so I'll bet that's part of it too.

I'm not exactly a fanatic about two-strokes. I don't pretend they're any better than fours. I think you can put down some money and get a good engine of either kind. The cheaper you go, the more sacrifices you make. That's true whether you buy two-stroke, four-stroke, turbine, Wankel rotary, Stirling, pulse jet, 3-stage steam, whatever...

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Now that's what I like to hear.......honestly! And that is pretty much the truth of the matter, believe it or not. And yes BA.....I love the unlimited applications of both as well, you get an A+.wee.

dnut

Ofc, I'll play with anything frm airplanes to riding lawnmowers... I ain't picky lol

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Me, I think it's a "comfort zone" thing. I've worked a lot on two-smokers and could probably do it in my sleep by now. I'm sure I could manage on a four stroke, but I also like how the China Girls look in a bike frame - so I'll bet that's part of it too.

I'm not exactly a fanatic about two-strokes. I don't pretend they're any better than fours. I think you can put down some money and get a good engine of either kind. The cheaper you go, the more sacrifices you make. That's true whether you buy two-stroke, four-stroke, turbine, Wankel rotary, Stirling, pulse jet, 3-stage steam, whatever...
Good point Allen, though I'm not fond of steam engines.......I do like steampunks however!

dnut

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
I like the look of the GT5 on the frame...the honda clone 4 strokers just don't inspire me and the centri clutch noise at low speed bothers me.
But i might do a stretch with a honda 50cc auto soon.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I haven't ran a 4 cycle motor on a bike yet, but I want to really master these two smokers first.

I do like the inframe look, but given the financial opportunity, I would get a 4 cycle rackmount on the back too.

I like the idea of less maintenance, but 2 cycle has power at rpms, not just rpms.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I really like the way a 2 stroke, China Girl looks but much prefer the sound and power of a 4 stroke. I prefer the ride on a 2 stroke as far as regular bike cranks but prefer the vibes of a 4 smoke.

So, final answer. Love em both. They each have their own qualities and compromises.

All as in-frame. For a rack mount, would go 2 smoker (but building a 4) and for a pusher, with out a doubt would go with a 4 stroke.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i like the noise, the acceleration, and the look of a 2 stroke. the 4 stroke bike crowd seems to finally be catching up to the performance aspect of the 2 smoker, as seen at willow, but the standard low speed, air compressor-lookin', cheap plastic shrouded 4 stroke just looks stupid to me.

i really dig what the brigg's guys are doing, though. i've seen msrfan and his bro's bikes, as well as Jeff's, and they look great. but they ain't cheap, and it ain't easy.

my goal is to build the fastest modified china doll bike on the planet. after that, who knows? there's plenty of undiscovered 2 strokes (at least for the bicycle market) out there that'll run laps around the china's, and even put a hurtin' on the morini's. if my plans come together, i'll be showcasing one at the next race.

got the skills and the money, just need the time now that i'm back to work full time.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i hafta agree with bairdco the plastic shrouds are cheezy looking. multi cylinder 2 strokes screaming is music to my ear [only one works kinda] but the squid on the 1983 kx450 with the stinger only in the pits/campground is so annoying. a 4 stroke single at a slow idle is heaven. the slower the better. wheeling a 4 stroke is easy with the throttle and engine braking, but a 2 stroke ya gotta learn to use the rear brake. and i like the smell of castor

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Barelyawake, you couldn't have said it any better and I stand firm in total agreement on this and feel the same way ......... nicely said....!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This to me depends on what you are riding, on a dirt bike I like the four stroke you dont have to keep it in the power band to climb hills. But on the other hand remembering the sound of 25 screaming 2 strokes racing to the first turn..... well I like them both just for diff. kind of bikes. My m/b is a 2 stroke I just like the old school look of it.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'll take a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke any day. Less expensive and with the right mods, the power ratio is unmatched.

I like smoking and my bike feels the same way :)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
There's always a reciprocal...I'll take a 4-stroke over the 2-stroke any day. Cheaper to run in the long term, smoother, more reliable. :p

Plus I think they sound better. Chinagirls always sound like some varying ratio between a chainsaw and an RC car. :D

I'll take a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke any day. Less expensive and with the right mods, the power ratio is unmatched.

I like smoking and my bike feels the same way :)