HF Greyhound build

GoldenMotor.com

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
Hello
A build up featuring the HF Greyhound 79cc and the affordable go karts jack shaft kit on a Schwinn Landmark 7 speed cruiser bike.

Well this wasn't a build for someone with out fabrication skills by any means,didn't figure it was going to be bolt on. Got a 4 stroke mount kit from a member of the motorbicycling.com web site the one thing it did not come with was the one too two piece crank adapter thanks to BicycleEngines.com for having one in stock.
I cant say enough about Affordable Go Karts and there great customer service, they sent me a piece of 35 chain so I didn't have to by a 10' len. Just to get the 2 ft. I needed.
I decided to tune my own clutch rather than get one from them ,they are going to to be less expensive in the future from AGK.
I had to open the slots in the mount plate to allow for 8mm bolts and I wrapped inner tube around the frame for the ends of the mount.
Of course I had to build a pipe for it, Had some 1” tube left over from another project so I had two 90 degree bends lucky me I just had to weld them together to a ¾ ridged conduit coupler I didn't order a flange so I just used the stub for the stock exhaust.
I mounted the engine then the Jack shaft and turned the 22 tooth jack shaft sprocket around to move it and the clutch in had to shorten one of the spacers too and played around with the 9 tooth output sprocket for alignment to the 56 tooth wheel sprocket.

Oh I also clamped the rear fender in a vise and clearanced it for the chain.
The muffler is one for a 5 horse Briggs so it just screws on or off.
To tune the clutch I replaced the shoes and went up to the green spring and it just works!
I also had to make a bracket for the throttle which I just ran thru a cable Ferrel off and old brake assembly thur the bracket which I mounted to a valve cover bolt then drilled the arm on the carb and made a pinch bolt to hold the cable.

This was to replace an tricked out old Murray cruiser that was stolen and I really wanted a 4 stroke.
So I decided to try and build a really nice bike for myself. And as you know There wont be any 4 stroke kits available for it looks like months so I had to roll my own. So after seeing the AGK Jack shaft at the death race and seeing the performance …......

A few other goodies that the bike has to try and round out the Caddy ride are a suspension seat post and a Clould 9 seat, Alarm system with remote, center stand and am going to add springer front as soon as I figure out how to add a disc brake to it. Not too worried about lights at the moment I am not supposed to be riding at night.

Not bad for a half blind guy Huh? Still learning to weld again have trouble seeing the joint I can see the arc but I cant see the joint. Oh well, I have many grinders and sanders and I can grind with the best of them.

Riding

the bike pulls like a train and cruising speed is right about 3500-4000rpm haven't opened it up all the way yet, my guess is about 40 at 5000 rpm. It is a little heavy at slow speed and when rolling it around
is my only *****. Pedal to get going and just roll on the gas. It would pull from a standing start but with me on it, its to much for the bike. Should pull the trailer just fine,though.

Pics are at https://picasaweb.google.com/bmcginnis1/Bikes#

moonshiner

Apr 23, 2011
tennessee
very clean work man , that 97cc GH should pull your bike trailer down the road great ... BTW i like your trailer , is it home built ?.trlrl.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Very nice bike, I plan to build a bike with that little engine soon.

I just went to Harbor Frieght 3 days ago and bought 2 of them, they had them on clearance for $69 each and they have the 6.5HP GX200 clone engines for $74 each right now also.

And yes AGK is an excellent site and they are great people there, I've purchased a good bit of stuff from them and the service and products are top of the line all the way......

Cant wait to get mine built in the near future.....

Again..great job!

Peace