Shifter Kit from www.sickbikeparts.com

GoldenMotor.com

jezusjonz

Feb 26, 2008
Indiana
Been workin on MY shiftkit...installing it on an older style moondog. Im using a 5 speed rear with 12 ga spokes on the front and back with a springer front kinda like my other moondog with just a few changes.
just got my computer going again so been slackin on my input here.
Terry

bmoody

Jul 25, 2008
I got my kit installed. Fit great, no mods needed to anything. I did take the extra time and do the clutch case mod so I can pop the clutch cover on and off with ease.

Just waiting for my crank conversion kit to show up tomorrow so I can finish it up.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah I told him he didn't shift enough!!

He's using a gut cam. Maybe he'll let the monkey (me) try it. I'll go through all the gears and then let the.........gas out!! rotfl

It's just a trial video. We'll have more.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Are you talking about the monkey behind the camera. There is a short shot of the monkey taking off from a dead stop without pedaling but that is all you are going to see. If there were anymore of the monkey he would get sued for monitor damage all over the world.
:)

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Great Video!!!! I wondered what the setup would sound like shifting. Sounds like.. well, a dirt bike or motorcycle! :)

I agree though.. we need more video.. more shifting.. longer, faster.. blow the soot out of that thing and show us what its got! ;)

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Yer good! I was just kidding as You guys have put together a great kit with some great promo and a willingness to share info that is right in line with the open source computer movement. We all progress as this is being developed. I hope to get mine installed this week or next.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Sorry to disappoint but that is about all she's got. I didn't completely wind it out though and I only went from 1st to 3rd and then to 5th. The audio on that camera really quiets it down so although it sounds like it isn't really winding up it really is. I will do some more video soon with some more shifting. I will listen to suggestions on what you would like to see so let me know.

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
According to the speedometer, you were scooting along at a pretty good pace! 34mph at least!

Its nice to know that the kit doesn't mind skipping gears on the rear derailleur. It seemed like the shifts were very quick to my ear. BTW, what gear set do you have on that bike as far as rear gears go, smallest and largest tooth count.

I want to get an idea as to how its going to compare with mine when its done.

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I believe it is either a 12-28 or a 12-30. You can shift pretty quick once you get the timing down. One thing that people should understand is that due to the multiple chains and freewheels there is a little slack in the drive. That allows the engine to free rev for a split second after a shift until the slack in the drive is taken up. If you are not gentle when reapplying the throttle it will jerk the rear cassette. To do it right is all a matter of how fast you shift and how little you get off the throttle for a shift and how quickly you get back on the throttle. I just barely crack the throttle, wait for the cassette to go from 1st to 3rd and then back on the throttle. Like you said it can be done pretty quickly once you get the timing down.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Those are pretty standard gears. The 11-32 or 11-34 may be worth getting so skipping is not so necessary. Actually with the power band you may only need 4 or 5 gears. Smooth shifting is always a goal and many never do get it smooth. The very quick hesitation of power you describe is important even if you only use leg power. If you ever tried to shift under a full power stroke while climbing you know it is not happening very smooth. It is best to shift early before bogging down on a climb. Smooth shifts have a side benefit that it is easier on the little prawls in the ratchet of the cassette which are known to blow up when shifted under stress too frequently.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
grrr, now i am wanting this even sooner! i've got to find me some dough to buy one.

very nice video, i must have watched it 10 times!