e-Kickbike?

GoldenMotor.com

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Apologies, if necessary, that this is a "cross post".

What happened was I've been away from the hobby quite some time. I thought I was posting on this forum, but accidentally posted on the other... well, that forum that will not be named.

But, after getting no replies, I had an "a-hah" moment -- "Wrong forum! Yeah, reminds me of why I left and joined motorbicycling.com...(expletives deleted)..."

Of course, I'm sure none of you have any idea what I'm talking about. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Ok, here's what I said over there, that I meant to say over here:

Greetings Gentlemen,

I'm not new to the forum, but I'm new to the Green Side!

I've been off the forum quite some time after hurting myself in an MB crash. All my fault (ineffective front brakes, gravel on the road, came up on the turn too fast, down I went, broke my finger--OUCH!).

Re-thinking what I want in alternate transport, I've decided I don't need 30 mph, gas, noise etc, but rather stealth, quietness, bike-path-ability (boy do those spandexers hate to see/hear a two stroker on the bike path, heh heh), lower speed, better slow-movability, for use over pretty short distances. I'm thinking an E-scooter.

I was inspired by this video:

YouTube - footbike (electric bike) & hummer

Where these guys have mounted an electric hub motor on one of these "kickbikes":

Kickbike XCountry

As a platform for motorization, however, I was a little more inclined towards this scooter:

http://www.pawtrekker.com/viewproduc...d=31&catsel=51

On account of its full suspension, and what looks to be a somewhat more rugged construction. Price appears to be a bit better as well.

I've read some concerns about hub motors and the impact of torque on the axle and the problem of weakening aluminum forks (like these shock absorber forks?)

I'm seeking input/ideas for a good motor, hub or other type, and other necessary gear for the build.

Parameters are, these scooters weigh in the 18 to 25 pound range. I'm 180lb, and I'd like an 8 to 10 mile range, with up to maybe 20 mph top speed.

Terrain is mostly flat, but there are a couple of good hills. I'm not morally opposed to helping the motor out with some human-assistance to lug my @ss up hill.

I'd like to build a pretty clean looking machine, like the guys in the video, so I'd prefer to avoid the "car battery in an over-sized camera bag" look that some of these e-bikes go for -- ahhh, no offense to you e-commuters. ;-)

Thanks in advance for any recommendations for this e-noob.

Regards

Brenton

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Welcome back,
I am a bit suprised, but the more I look at these kick scooters the more I like them. They just look fun.
I don't have mutch to offer for advice about any hub motors for your app.(strictly a brushless motor builder). But the suspended frame unit looks to have plenty of ground clearance to hang a pack on the undercarige. (properly protected of course) I never recomend LiPo to anyone starting out but Lifepo4 is a very stable chemistry & WAY lighter than any lead acid batt could dream of.
Pm member Dogman for an indepth evaluation of your request.
Here is a link to some like minded fellows building electric Kick scooter just like this.
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Kick and Stand scooters...
....also PM member Dogman...he is a hub motor & battery Guru...he will answer all your question & more...real good guy.
good luck & keep us posted

zabac70

Mar 17, 2010
Belgrade , Serbia
For example: Nine Continent 36 V or 48 V hub(I prefer more volts, but , unfortunately , that means more cells = more money) , permanent magnet motor - good torque on that stuff (Golden motors are OK too, or Crystalyte - China), 15 AH LiFePO4 , 40 Amp controller and few other bits (throttle, switches, fuses , charger, battery box...). You can over Volt that any time, so you'll be OK with 36 V setup.
LiPo comes in "smaller" package and it has less weight , but it's trickier to handle . BMS is a must with Lithium batteries. Good luck!
P.S. Sorry, don't have any links at hand , just Google it

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for these tips and links.

I'm going to chase these down as I look into this idea further.

I'll report bck here with any progress or plans.

Brenton

peterarev

Sep 13, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Hey Brenton,

See my post in the Intro section for a rundown on my Schwinn Cruiser with a front motor (Golden Motor electric motor from Tucson, AZ.) Here I will address the issue of the torque problem with hub motors. The dealer I bought my Golden Motor from offered a small tab with a slotted hole for the axle which is hose clamped to the fork. This was necessary to satisfy the warranty which is voided if the axle "spins out" and tears the wiring out of the axle entry to the motor. I forgot to pick up the item when I picked up the motor so it was more convenient for me to build my own than run back to the dealer. Luckily I have flat forks which made designing an improved version easier. I used a hefty piece of angle iron I found at the side of the road on one of my earlier rides. With only a vice grips, drill and some hand files, I produced the bracket you see in the attached photo. Building something this secure for tubular forks would be a bit more involved, but certainly possible with a little fabrication sense and the right materials.

I found out directly what happens if this bracket is not installed. I had previously decided to trust the strength of the axle bolts and the axle slots in the forks to hold against the torque of the motor. It worked for a while until one day I felt a clicking upon acceleration and deceleration and looked down and saw my axle bolts shifting back and forth. I immediately drove VERY SLOWLY back home and began building the anti-torque bracket. The steel fork slots had indeed begun to spread so I pounded them back and installed the bracket. Now it is so secure that I don't give any serious thought to a spin out. The hole I drilled and filed fits so tightly on the axle that I have to tap it on and off when I remove the front wheel to fix a flat. Even so, the microscopic play in the bracket hole might eventually loosen my axle nuts ever so slightly over a long period of time, but even if they were to get really loose, the axle will never spin. Only one bracket is needed if it's strong enough as mine certainly is. Of course, my motor is only 500Watts and on the front wheel (which looses traction at quick starts and takes the strain off of the axle) so some additional consideration might be needed for a more powerful motor especially if installed on the rear wheel.

Let me know if there's anymore you want to know about my bike and motor installation.

Peter

Attachments

Electric Rider

Nov 8, 2010
Louisiana
Check you local e-bike/ motorized bike laws Very carefully. The big problem with a kick type e-bike is that they are very illegal in most places. Most e-bike laws stipulate that you Must have working pedals on the e-bike. Even the Federal e-bike law requires this. E-Bike Law

This can be a good way to get your bike taken by the cops and a fine too.