Two stroke choice

GoldenMotor.com

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
I know this subject has been beaten to death, forgive me! I just want so advice from the experts here. Ok so I'm building a bicycle for a customer but my supplier of engines ran out of the two strokes I normally use. My question is, should i order up a GT5 or wait for the improved kits that should be available from my supplier in about 2 weeks. The improvements are supposed to be slightly enlarged ports and hex cap screws throughout, plus maybe a few other things. I have seen the proto type in person and it does have the cap screws. Does the Gt5 have cap screws? I hate the soft regular screws that strip so easily. Of course I am going to ask my customer what he wants but thought I'd get some opinions here too.

Thanks so much,

Justin

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
GT5 has lousy hardware, just like the rest of them. it might be a little better, but when i took mine off and replaced them, the screw slots still deformed from the soft metal.

the head studs are 8mm with a pretty good quality acorn nut and doubled up washers, and looks like there's plenty of threads in them so they won't bottom out.

replacing all the hardware is cheap if you find a good industrial fastener place. i pay about 3 bucks for everything. it'd cost you 15 at ACE, if they had it.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I ordered this: Engine Hardware Kit - while I work at a hardware store, I'm also an impatient, lazy bastid and I hate diggin' all through the bins lookin' for metric stuff... it doesn't help my boss is stuck in the 1900's and thinks metric is just a passing phase :rolleyes:

mojoman288

Apr 26, 2010
Toledo, OH
Those chinese kits are a giant crap shoot, it doesnt matter what "brand" you get, its either good or bad, If you want something high quality, get a robin, honda, or any japanese kit.

Just curious, but whos your supplier? Zoombicycles sells VERY cheap wholesale kits, or do you buy directly from the manufactuer through alibiba?

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Thanks for the replies, I may just order an engine online and replace the hardware.

Just curious, but whos your supplier? Zoombicycles sells VERY cheap wholesale kits, or do you buy directly from the manufactuer through alibiba?
Hi mojoman288, I get my engines locally from a guy that imports them, so I don't have to pay shipping. According to him he is actually supplying some California dealers with engines since they are having a hard time getting them. Zoom bicycles does look cheap, I may get one of those instead of the Grubee.

demac

Mar 8, 2010
Canada, Ontario, Brampton
hi guys and gals just wanna say summin.... I live in canada and i have ordered over 15 plus kits from Zoombicycles. I buy them whole sale in x5, and i ordered x5 49 cc motor kits and i got 80/66cc motor kits for the same price, slant head, jetstealth i think. i have been using the same first motor i bought for 2 years winter/summer. still has awesome compression, and never loved it more.

Patr1ck

Apr 15, 2010
Tempe, AZ
I know this subject has been beaten to death, forgive me! I just want so advice from the experts here. Ok so I'm building a bicycle for a customer but my supplier of engines ran out of the two strokes I normally use. My question is, should i order up a GT5 or wait for the improved kits that should be available from my supplier in about 2 weeks. The improvements are supposed to be slightly enlarged ports and hex cap screws throughout, plus maybe a few other things. I have seen the proto type in person and it does have the cap screws. Does the Gt5 have cap screws? I hate the soft regular screws that strip so easily. Of course I am going to ask my customer what he wants but thought I'd get some opinions here too.

Thanks so much,

Justin
Im not an expert but Ill give ya my 2 cents anyway. Track down a Morini Motori. Franco Morini KickButt Engines