Just finished my first Build!

GoldenMotor.com

SweetRide

Jun 18, 2010
South Walton County, FL.
Well here it is. I got this Bike from my neighbor a couple of months ago and found this forum about the same time. So I told my wife I wanted the engine kit for my birthday. I ordered it eleven days ago and it got here yesterday! I thought it would be an easy build. I was wrong! I have a Trek Drift single speed.
I ordered a ZB Limited Edition Silver 80cc from Zoom. So after figuring out i had to open up the diameter of the sprocket, and after installing the sprocket 4 times, I got it. Several trips to the hardware store for new bolts, zip ties, and wire to extend the kill switch because of my handle bars and a some tweaking on the chain tensioner due to the shape of the frame I finished it today. I have rode it twice so far. I wanted to post some pics for you guys to check it out and let me know what you think.
I want to thank everyone that has ever posted tips and their issues, that's how I figured most of my issues out.

Attachments

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
you are gonna want a second set of brakes on that thing, because if you only use the coaster break it will a)eventually seize up and b) if the chain comes off the manual pedal side you have no brakes whatsoever. Otherwise, solid build!

SweetRide

Jun 18, 2010
South Walton County, FL.
Thanks momentummotorgroup, I agree with you about the brakes. I will going to see a friend of mine that owns a bike rental shop here tomorrow and will ask him what I can do about the brake situation. Any suggestions? Also, I check my plug after my last ride and it was black and oily, so I moved the c-clamp up one on the pin in the carb. I am running 16:1 right now, should I even be messing with the carb at this time? I noticed when riding that under load the bike sounds good, but I get to the point where the bike is just cruising along at half throttle it sounds rough, more of a popping to it. Is this normal?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Got a lot of miles on my coaster brake and she still stops fine.

Run it 24:1, 16:1 is way too much oil for these. Most figure the 16:1 is if you're using motor oil not 2 cycle oil.

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
there are a large variety of brake options available. I use caliper brakes, which are a step up from just a coaster, but they really don't give full on stopping power needed when you have to brake hard. A lot of people say the newer style V brakes are good, and there are a ton who use front disc brakes and rear band brakes as well. It's a matter of cost and what'll fit on your bike.

I don't monkey with the clip, period. Unless you're at high altitude, there shouldn't be much need for altering that part of the set up. You might be running too rich a mix. A lot of these kit instructions are pretty craptacular when it comes to ratios and oil, particularly since some of the instruction kits are transcribed from a period before 2 stroke oils were available. I personally use Opti-2 on all my builds and haven't had a single issue. It can be found @ any ace hardware store and 1 packet to one gallon of gas (i always use premium) works for ALL 2 stroke applications. no need for busting out the measuring cups or calculators. It might be backfiring and sounding crappy b/c it's gummed up from the density of the mix you're trying to push through it.

There is a TON of help on here from a lot of posts, and you'll probably find 99.9% of your issues have been covered here if you use the search toolbar at the top o' the page..

momentummotorgroup

Apr 10, 2009
grand rapids, michigan
Wow Kevlarr..Either you're lucky or I'm destructive.. or both.. I've gone through 3 so far on my big bike with the 66cc engine. Never had too much issue on the 48cc builds though, only marginal cone nut adjustments b/c sometimes it seizes a little and starts pedaling itself (which will lead to the aforementioned seizing if not kept in check)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually had my pedal chain come off once going down a hill, luckily compression braking and a bit of a power slide on the shoulder worked.

Caliper brakes won't work with the rims I have, I mostly ride on back roads (the scenic route) and I always plan ahead.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
East Lansing, never seen another MB around here but people talk about seeing others besides mine.