Motorcycle style saddle on bike

GoldenMotor.com

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
Hey i was wondering about adding a Motorcycle style saddle to my bike that could hold two people i was wondering if anyone had done this and if so how they did it. I would add a banana seat but it is too small and is a little too narrow for my comfort.
chris .crt.

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
using a standard mountain bike and some custom welding i think it could be possible.

ailgup

Jul 9, 2009
USA
in mass u must have a valid drivers liscence to ride it wtf!!! so if u lost ur liscence u cant even ride on the rodes!!
actually you just need a drivers permit Massachusetts RMV - Moped Definition and Requirements
and i didn't lose my license i am too young to get one. :-(
yes these rules seem unfair but what can you do i have heard of some police officers not stopping people but i wouldn't want to be stoped.
chris

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
in mass u must have a valid drivers liscence to ride it wtf!!! so if u lost ur liscence u cant even ride on the rodes!!

If you lost your license, you shouldn't be riding anything but maybe a pedal bike anyway.
There is a reason the law takes away your license, like a DUI, in which case you probably shouldn't be allowed out of the house.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
My Tomos seat is going on the bike tomorrow. Should be able to fit two people with some rear pegs, but I'm just doing it for comfort. Will try & snap some results.

The idea is easy. Just mount a slab of sheet metal on the bottom of the moped seat using the protruding studs, then pull it off and mount it to the bike seat mount (not the post, but the "frame" of the bicyle seat). Once it's on there then screw the moped seat on top of it.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Mounted the Tomos seat today, but sorry I don't have access to the camera. One thing I'll tell you if you try and use the bicycle seat's mounting bracket is that sitting back on the seat puts a lot of strain on the bicycle seat springs, so much that they crush. Since the point of the seat is obviously so you can sit back, the mount goes near the front and this puts a lot of leverage on the springs when you sit back.

I extended the bracket with some 1/4 inch mounting hardware I found for something else. The seat now has the springs at the rear but the you run into another problem. The springs still like to crush a lot (but not nearly as much as before) and the bottom of the seat makes contact with the seat post. It's almost like you have to keep your balance on the center of the seat post (in terms of left to right, front to back it holds fine). This effect also likes to bend the original bicycle seat mount a little (gotta remember it's just made of some mid-range metal wire), and when you get off the bike you'll notice the seat is crooked and looks silly.

So my solution would be to use a total of 4 springs to support the rear of the seat. Two near the center just behind the post, and two in the extreme rear. Just ordered a $15 seat off ebay & plan on ripping the springs out of that & using them. Hopefully that'll keep it a little better supported and distribute the weight a little more evenly through the mounting system.

I'll post pics when I can. It looks almost like '70s style moped. Totally worth doing if just for the cosmetic effect.

Last edited:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I"ve seen pictures of Don Grubee hauling around another employee on a happytime bike.

If you got a Walmart tandem bike and put a 66cc on it, you could probably do ok with some pedal input.

I'm not sure how you will fare with 2 people on your motor bicycle, but I bet you can find a bunch of comfy moped couch seats and fit them up ok for 1 rider.

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I don't know. I've put a passenger on a little goped sport before and it was pretty uncomfortable, but it worked. And those motors are only like 23cc.

I've also had 2 passengers (total of 3 people) on a 49cc china scooter moped thing, but that had a CVT. But you also have to consider the fact that it was a 4-stroke (less powerful motor) and the thing weighed around 150 pounds, way more than these bikes weigh.

I'd guess that the feeling would be like constantly going up hill when using the 66cc, which for all of you who have one know that it's not too bad. Going uphill would be like hill climbing on a 48cc. BTW I'm comparing it with a 44T sprocket.

Starting from a stopped position might be a little quirky...