A Cops perspective....

GoldenMotor.com

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
After you get into the habit of wearing a helmet you'll feel naked without it. But I'm basing this opinion on MC riding. At speeds above 30mph, you'll be faster than the insects and you'll be eating bugs. And when a bug hits your face at 40mph it can sting pretty good. I've taken my open face motocross helmet (use goggles too) off several times and have found bee carcasses stuck in the liner. And I've been bee stung several times also.

However, I do understand the riders who stay under 30mph not wanting to wear one. And I don't have an opinion either way. I believe in freedom of choice.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rockhopper, I believed in freedom of choice at one time and would have fought anyone who said anything different but the choice isn't yours alone.
It's your families, the care givers who have to change your diaper and clean you up. The extended care home that houses you. The nurses and doctors who fight to keep you alive for your lifetime.
It's the tax payers who have to pay for it and the Police and EMT's and Fire Fighters who have to deal with the carnage day and night.

You have that great life insurance from work. Pays triple indemnity if your killed in an auto accident. Well motor bikes are included,you asked. Hey, your loved ones have a chance.
There is a bolweevil in the cotton patch or rather a lobbyist in the State Capital and his bag of cash he is handing out is supplied by the insurance companies who can now take it to court and if they can prove that you contributed to you injuries/death by not wearing a helmet. Well the $300,000 is now $35,00 because you were 75% responsible because of not wearing that pesky lid. The wind in your hair was followed by a bumper in the skull but you would have survived with a helmet. The experts all agree. Next case.

Lived in northern NH and there was a guy that I saw in town from time to time. He was from the brain injury rehab outside of town.
Simple story, Lived in Boston, needed something from the store,looked at the bike helmet and since it was 3 blocks to the store no problem. Off he went, someone opened a car door and he swerved to miss it and hit his head on the curb as he went down.

How long did it take you to read that? Took him ten miutes to tell me. I timed it by the clock on the wall.
Freedom is never free. He was 22 at that time.

Steve.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If a person chooses to not wear a helmet and they have a crash that causes brain injury I really don't give a damn about them. But they better damn well have their own insurance cause I'm not willing to pay for their care.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I already got a traumatic brain injury from lightning through a telephone... burned the front lobe of my brain. I'm lucky to be writing this message. My life changed forever in a moment. I had no real choice in the matter. It was not raining, no storm, sun was shining and a single lightning bolt found me from ten miles away. I believe it had my name on it.
Things happen you can't plan on, but when there is something you can do about preventing an injury and you choose not to as in the case of wearing a helmet... well, it just seems dumb to me to not wear head protection. When you're young you tend to think you are somehow invulnerable and that injuries happen to other people. If you make it to sixty or seventy you know better. I've had four near death experiences and figure the next one is the game ender. Yes, the helmet feels weird at first, but you get used to it.
Don't want to pile on you with this, but also would be very sad if we got a post from a friend of yours saying you died or were drooling full time now because you were too cool to wear a helmet.
Sb

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Well after reading through this thread i must Hambro has definately earned respect. HE also made a lot of good points. So thank you for your service, and thanks for the honesty!!!

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
I've wrecked motorcycles with helmets on, I've wrecked motorcycles without helmets on. I have scars from looping a motorcycle over backwards shifting into third gear when I was 19 wearing just a pair of shorts and sneakers.

You wear your helmet on your bicycle if you want to, but stay the **** out of my life.

I live in Florida wear there is no helmet law.

I drive a 72 VW with lap belts so I don't get seatbelt tickets.

When the good lord decides to punch my ticket, no safety device in the world will save me...until that time I will survive.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I don't believe anyone butted into your life, lol, you voluntarily posted on this thread just like everyone else and this is a "forum" where your comments are subject to the opinions of everyone who is a member here. If you don't like our opinions then maybe you shouldn't subject yourself to them, lol. You don't live in my county so I won't have to scoop you up so do what you do and have fun. No one is hating on you because you don't want to wear a helmet, I'm just saying that I'm not going to let something like wearing one keep me from riding these bikes. I'll wear mine you do what you want.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi Gareth,

I agree with you, just as long as we don't have to pay for your care in the event of a squidly, stupid move on your part. If you receive a head injury because you weren't wearing a helmet, **** you.

That's really my only point. Oh, and your post makes it sound like you wreck a lot. What's up with that?

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Oh, and by the way, if I'm not mistaken, in florida there is a helmet law when it comes to bicycles but not motorcycles.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
Just read the florida law, anyone under the age of 16 must wear a helmet when operating a bicycle with or without a motor on it. Over 16, no helmet required.

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I appreciate all you guys, in every thread there will be one person who wants to rock the boat I guess. This thread was not started to discuss whether or not we should wear helmets, thats a no brainer (pun intended). I was just pointing it out as being the number one reason for catching the attention of the police when riding these bikes (where the laws apply). If gareth had to wear a helmet on his motorized bicycle then I guess from what he's saying he'd just give up on the bikes all together. It's all about priorities in the long run.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Yep. There should be a law that Gareth must at all times wear a helmet and full gear because he crashes so often.

Poor, poor, uncoordinated Gareth.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
You push the limits, you find the limits.

I used to push the limits quite a bit when I was young.

I found them from time to time.

I rode motorcycles year round for several years in NY. Snow, ice, rain or shine.

I'm happy for you the world has bubble wrapped itself and concocted all the taxes on personal liberty.

Wear whatever protective equipment you feel necessary to enjoy your toy.

Better yet, stay in your house...you will be even safer there. =-)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
This thread was not started to discuss whether or not we should wear helmets, thats a no brainer (pun intended). I was just pointing it out as being the number one reason for catching the attention of the police when riding these bikes (where the laws apply).
Well said.

This thread was NOT started as a helmet debate - even if it was, not every state has mandatory helmet laws nor does everyone wear them, as such it's a personal choice with no right or wrong.

Let's stop with the disrespect and get back on topic, namely that of cops & the fact we actually have a cool one amongst us.

Everyone knows police only bite if they sense fear... right?

|.o

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
this is a very cool thread (^)
thank you Hambro, for reminding me/us that not ALL cops are out to get us
some of them are pretty good guys ;)
if I drank, I would be proud to bend an elbow with you :)