First day commuting on a ChinaGirl Motorized Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
First day commuting on a ChinaGirl. It of course died as soon as I got into south Hartford. LOL. I had not one tool with me. Had wisely left them on another MB.

Get her home. Remove plug, no spark. Change plug. Change ignition wire. Change CDI, no spark. Open the mag cover. The blue wire is no longer attached to the coil. On closer examination, it looked as though it barely ever was. Swap out the mag. Won't start. Put the spark plug in (Was wondering why it was so easy to peddle with the clutch out) fire her up and she now runs better then she ever has. Was always a bit of a dawg and I just figured that was it. It is a BGF with I think 3K on her. I bought it to beat to death to see how these things hold up. It is at least 2 yrs old and been on at least 2 different bikes.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: First day commuting on a ChinaGirl

Sweet man! (not that she died on ya, but that yer commuting lol) how long is your trip?

I love commuting on my MB, getting out the door to go to work has never been easier :D

wes

Aug 17, 2009
Tucson Az

Thats another engine that needed a mag at 3k, seems to be something i will stock up on around 3000 miles or so, i had one die around that and a buddy of mine had a mag problem while we were on vacation a couple weeks ago, his motor has 3k as well!!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Never really looked closely at the blue wire connection but you figure you have stranded wire going to solid so eventually the solid's going to break do to vibration. A preventative measure may be to somehow glue the leads to the frame of the coil with epoxy or something to relieve any stress on the connection. But 773H, 3k miles for a lifespan ain't bad for an $8 part.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Sweet man! (not that she died on ya, but that yer commuting lol) how long is your trip?

I love commuting on my MB, getting out the door to go to work has never been easier :D
Is really a great way to get back and forth. About 30 or40 mins. Is funny how much I am asked where to get one. Gave out dax's addy 7 times one day.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Sorry, never answered your question. Is 5.6 miles one way. Most in city traffic. Really need to do 35 MPH. Have ordered a new GB for the Honda. Awesome engine. Not a fan of the GB. I brought the old one to a machine shop and am having helical gears made for them. Should work way better and lose the noise.

The GB cost around the same as a Chinagirl but I enjoy them a lil more for distance trips and heavy traffic. Is funny how dependable the engine is but not the GB on a 4. If there was a way to marry the 4 smoker with a 2 stroke GB, wow. My old 4 stroke GB could be heard well over the engine. Hope this works. would be great.

Car is still DOA but for the low, low price of $1400, can get her back on the road. Gonna need some Carhartts soon! Might be on a MB for the winter, lol.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

Wish you lived just around the corner, Dan. We'd have you going in no time. I would fix your car, dax could fix the bike. Ever consider a move to Colorado?
Tom

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

NP Dan - I lose threads here alla time anyway lol

5.6mi is just about a perfect distance, not too far as to be a pain but not so short that ya don't get a chance to enjoy the ride! Tho soon w/o Carhartts "enjoyment" may have a different meaning lol birrr-cold :(

My commute is so short my bike doesn't get a chance to warm up even... tho I'm guilty of zooming past my turn-off all time :D

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

If I commuted on my bike I would have to ride to work stay all week then ride home for the weekend!