44T sprocket diameter too small

GoldenMotor.com

gobiewankenobi

Sep 9, 2009
Wisconsin
The sprocket, in the kit that's yet to arrive, has an inner diameter of 3.7cm. The hub that it needs to go onto is more like 5cm.
How can I go about enlarging this hole? Or is there a replacement sprocket that I can get that will work? The bike is an older cruiser model, 3 speed internal gear hub with coaster brake.

Thanks.

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
It depends on your resources. You can dremmel the hole larger, hand file or stick a found file in your drill chuck. Just be sure to keep the hole even.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I once used a cutting torch & a fat round file, because it was going on a really big hub!!
It helps to first draw the new hole size with a felt marker, (to keep the hole even & centered)

Coval_PL

Jul 28, 2009
Gdynia/Poland
The sprocket, in the kit that's yet to arrive, has an inner diameter of 3.7cm. The hub that it needs to go onto is more like 5cm.
How can I go about enlarging this hole? Or is there a replacement sprocket that I can get that will work? The bike is an older cruiser model, 3 speed internal gear hub with coaster brake.

Thanks.
I've got the same problem. I want to apply new wheels with Sram S7 gear-hub, but it's a lot bigger than standard hub. Making bigger hole or drill new holes for bolts is not so difficult but what about rubber and steel mounting parts? I have no idea how to do those mounting parts.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
if you have the money to spare "manic mechanic" has the best set up around. he advertises on the side column of this forum. check out the pictures. you have to order the one to fit your hub.GOBIE, I`M FROM EAU CLAIRE, WI. BEEN DOWN HERE 20 YRS. WHAT TOWN ARE YOU IN. LATER RON .cvlt1

Last edited:

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
go to usa bike motors.com web site they sell the hub the sproket kit for around 75. bucks plus tax this set up will prevent you from drilling holes ir putting tension on the spokes the only thing you have to go to a bike shop to get it re spokes plus this also will give you a brake set up

gobiewankenobi

Sep 9, 2009
Wisconsin
if you have the money to spare "manic mechanic" has the best set up around. he advertises on the side column of this forum. check out the pictures. you have to order the one to fit your hub.GOBIE, I`M FROM EAU CLAIRE, WI. BEEN DOWN HERE 20 YRS. WHAT TOWN ARE YOU IN. LATER RON .cvlt1
I'm down in Madison. I'm hoping that this will help me do some commuting but, if nothing else, it'll be fun to play with.
While Manic Mechanic's setup looks great, I don't have that much money to play with. I'll probably try to find a machinist in town that will mill out the hole to 50mm. I'd do it myself, but I'm having trouble finding a bit large enough.