New BoardTrack Project w/Honda Engine

GoldenMotor.com

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the site and have been very impressed with the Boardtrack versions posted that I started one myself.

I had an old Huffy frame, that was made in USA, and bought a GC160 Honda engine. Decided to stretch the frame 6 inches and add a loop like a few other have done. I stripped the shroud and tank off the engine and will make a custom tank and maybe some side plates for the engine.
Bike001.jpg Bike003.jpg Bike004.jpg

I'll post pictures of the progress.

Mike

Added pictures of current state of build, 1/15/2010. Look at the following pages for more detail.
PDR_0282.JPG PDR_0284.JPG

Last edited:

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Board Track Project /Honda Engine Update

Here is a few pictures updating the progress made on the project.

Trying to get the look right, I think the engine drive needs to be centered with the hub of the bike.

Looks like the angles are close on the drop tube and loop.

Gonna be tough to fabricate a tank to get the space above the engine to look right.

Added a hole to the bottom of the hub so the loop tube can look like it extends down from the seat tube. Also closed the ends of the rear wheel top tubes.

Start fabricating the tubing next, I'll post a picture of our homemade tubing bender.

Mike

Attachments

Last edited:

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
Re: Board Track Project /Honda Engine Update

WOW!

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw your pics. You've got the frame lines perfect. You are off to a sweet start. I;m eager to see how it turns out.

kiwi kid

Aug 31, 2009
New Zealand

Great frame its looking awesome. This engine doesn't come with a clutch does it, are you planning on fitting one?

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC

Great frame its looking awesome. This engine doesn't come with a clutch does it, are you planning on fitting one?
We are planning to develop a manual clutch that will be located near or on the hub. We bought a clutch off ebay and will try to use a lever to actuate the clutch.

Mike

Jul 8, 2009
My Garage

This is my 2 cents, great lines, looks like it has Excelsior written all over it. Hope you don't mine me butting in with a quick photoshop of what I see as a tank. If at all you are offended, I will gladly remove this post. Thanks, looks great so far, and remember by the time you get all of your fuel lines ran and other wires that space will diminish and tend not to look as open.

Attachments

Last edited:

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC

This is my 2 cents, great lines, looks like it has Excelsior written all over it. Hope you don't mine me butting in with a quick photoshop of what I see as a tank. If at all you are offended, I will gladly remove this post. Thanks, looks great so far, and remember by the time you get all of your fuel lines ran and other wires that space will diminish and tend not to look as open.
WOW! That's great, I really like the lines on the tank you laid out.

Hope to be bending tube later today.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC

Interesting- could you post a link or describe the clutch?
The clutch we are trying to use can be purchased on Ebay under Dirt Bike Clutch. We are trying to use the Semi Auto Clutch, the trick will be to adapt this so we can use 2 sprockets, one to the engine drive the other to the drive the wheel and be able to engage the clutch with a lever mechanism. Got a long way to go on this development.

Mike

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Board Track Project / Honda Engine 2

A pretty big setback today. Our homemade tubing bender did just fine on EMT but the 4130 with .049 wall will kink on this setup.

I will either order tooling for my bender or have someone bend it to my spec.

Took a shot at building a "Bow" type racing brace for the front fork. Used 1/2" 4130 with 180 bend,
fabricated a lower bracket that will attach the tubing to the forks. Will fabricate a top bracket and bend the tubing toward the top nut and fabricate lower end pieces to attach it to the wheels.

Attachments

sdol

Jun 16, 2009
Orange County,Ca
Re: Board Track Project / Honda Engine 2

Just curious as to why a new thread needs to be started on this, instead of just adding the new info and photos at the original post? All the different threads make it hard to keep up with the project? Like the others I'm trying to follow the progress but its scattered amongst several different threads?

sdol

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Finished making the template of the drop and loop tubing out of EMT. This has been the toughest part yet. We made 4 attemps at getting the loop and transition into the neck as close as we could.

I would have preferred a larger radius in the transition to the neck, but I don't believe we could bend the tubing at a larger radius.

There is a custom motorcycle shop we found that will bend the tube to match our template. Let's hope it goes right.

Mike

Attachments

vrgt2003

Sep 10, 2009
Raleigh NC
Looks like the guy who bent the tubing hit my template pretty close. I feel lucky I found this shop and that he was willing to to do this small job.

We will cut the tubing to length and start tack welding in place hopefully tommorrow.

Mike

Attachments