Electric Start Hidden Wire Build On a Cranbrook.

GoldenMotor.com

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
looks grrrreat !
one of a kind like all your builds.
don't forget to put some decent pads on that frt brake to stop that thing....
Thanks Guys!!!
Cannonball, Yes they did drop it and then raised the shipping to 11.50 for a 16.00 grand total - hidden cost. LOL
Kartooo this bike is going to be very heavy, I will do a weigh in soon, you mean to tell me my cheap china pads wont help stop this runaway freight train. Maybe that's why they call it the Bullet Train....hmmmmm
.duh.

Last edited:

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
COB light placement.

Here is my turning broad light spray COB light placement to overcome my suicide headlight while making turns. I just need t make a tiny mount that will go under the caliper brake nut. For any one that is not familiar...These little COB tech lights are much brighter than conventional LEDs and use way less power. It strobes for day use also.'

I believe C.O.B. means-chips on block... or something like that.

Attachments

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
ZEDA Bullet Train HEAD SCOOPS

The headless engine has been bothering me too and I had no way to machine or cut the head like Cannonball did. So I looked for something easy to do.

So I added these little chrome heat resistant ABS air scoops that will actually force air down the huge head bolt holes. Will they actually help cool the head more? The small scoops are actually windshield wiper base chrome ABS covers for 3.99 a pair. It gives the headless engine some kind of hat.

Just grind a little notch on one side with Dremel so it clears the raised head boss. Add 3m double face tape...clean and affix them. ABS is commonly used on motorcycle heads on many new Hondas and other makes to dress them up cheap so I know they will not melt.

I added red plastic trim to the gas tank also.

Attachments

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That gave it an interesting look! I like it! Should actually help cooling.

What would look really cool is a sunburst head like on the Sachs engines in the 70s. I had a Penton with one.

See you are saving the best(chain/sprocket) for last. I still feel the 48t is a bit low. If thats what you got, I did. Its states the kit comes with a 44 which is common on a CG 26" kit. This engine has waaay more torque.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I think it actually might as they will force air down those deep holes and I left an escape route for the hot air to leave...one can get em on ebay or I got em at Pep boys windshield wiper base covers.
Anyhow yeah I'm trying to decide what I will even do for wheels and sprocket. yes good advice just using a 41 tooth.

I just got the standard 3pc crank spindle from bike berry and it is too short to clear the engine even with the wide crank arms so bummer, back to the drawing board. Darn.
I need wheels for another Schwinn Panther Board tracker I'm building to and these Cranbrook wheels are just the ticket for that vintage bike. So do I buy a set of sealed bearing alloy mag wheels for 140,00 to use on this very ride worthy Cranbrook BT build or just buy another Cranbrook and steal the wheels off it and give away the frame.... bike are only 75.00 delivered,but if you buy 12gauge wheels separate its 150.00 go figure. hmmm

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
That's strange on the crank spindle. The one I got worked with the GT style frame. Maybe there are 2 different ones. That sucks!

Yeah the cheapest way to get new parts is to part out a new bike. I have several frames in the attic from just that.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Gee cannonball., It looks to be just 1/4 shy of length. but maybe I can off set the spindle a bit? Or I can always take a super wide one I have on my Yellow indian build where I don't need it and just swap spindles out. But that one is way too wide/ LOL. Ill figure it out, its part of the fun I guess.

Yep... if you need a suspension fork as example just buy a entire bike as its cheaper and you end up with tons of spare parts. Sad but true.

My son wants a suspension fork on one of his builds and he can get the fork he wants for less money and get a free bike with spare wheels/ tires/ tubes, seat, bars, frame, chain, pedal, etc. it confused him to say the least. Even shipping was free.

I should just part new bikes out for a living.LOL/ I bet that what lots of bike companies do.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I think you can adjust the spindle to the left. There is way more clearance on the right using the spindle as shipped. As I remember it was tightened down all the way on one side. You may have figured this out by now.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
I finally got around to working on this electric start Bullet Train zeda powered 2 stroke bike again and have finished it. All done except for the drive chain and installing the battery. Hiding all the dang wires and solenoid and the tons of huge wires was challenging. Doing the Faux gas tank with the removable plastic panels seems to work well for this and dose not look half bad.

With any luck I will have it at 100 percent done by tomorrow night and start er up. Wide pedal crank, was hardly wide enough and only clears the motor by 1/32". Cannonball I spindled it farther right as you suggested and it worked.

I Added a custom made CNC engine side chain tension-er for this specialty new engine also. Not sure I would ever build one again as its just so many parts to deal with and complications. It adds many-
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG
many hours to a build if you want a clean install. Time will tell if its worth it.
IMG_0924.JPG
For anyone new to this engine it has pull start, an oil bath wet auto clutch and electric start. it does appear to be a well made engine. I may throw up one more post on start up.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Wow ZIp absolutely a stunning build!!

I hope your engine is as good as mine. The only real issue it has ever had was the recoil. Use it sparingly. You will probably have a teething period, mine was mainly around getting the carb set up. Once that was done the thing has been wonderfully trouble free and consistent in its running. I have been running 80/90 gear oil in the gear case with no issues from the clutch. Makes the gears much queiter. I broke mine in on one tank of 32 to 1 then 40 and finally 50 using a good synthetic.

Keep us posted.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks cannonball, its been a odd build for me. I got the chain on but the chain tensioner needed revisions that should be done today.
I have the chain pretty tight on its own but I'm a big believer in not straining the huffy hub except or light spring tension. These hubs are fine if you grease em good and don't strain them by depending on the coaster brake and not having tight pressure on them from the drive chain. so a good tensioner keeps it all dependable and long lasting.
The 9/16th pedals for the wide crank just came in also. It never ends on this build. I really like to have it 100 percent before I fire it up so I can take it for a run in our 10 degree balmy weather. Glad to hear yours is still performing solid.
This may end up being my favorite ride.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
well after another 10 hours of work into this thing I finally finished it 100 percent. The Battery was a bear to install. Plus I blew a fuse when hooking up the battery backwards after being overtired. We have a dry day coming so I can take it for a spin. Not sure if its the ugliest thing Ive built or the prettiest. This build was a crazy experience and I vow to never build one again although I could do it now much easier. I need to figure out a better lighter battery system, but electrical stuff is not my strong point.
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1002.JPG

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Yes scorpion1, I will have to switch to something way lighter in the spring. I was thinking something like a 12volt 18650 Lithium ion pack used for some cree bike headlights as an alt might work well also as an alternative to LA or lipo. I can just strap it to the frame. The huge starter LA battery set up they have now is ridiculous at best.

Scorpion1

Mar 21, 2017
AR
Yes scorpion1, I will have to switch to something way lighter in the spring. I was thinking something like a 12volt 18650 Lithium ion pack used for some cree bike headlights as an alt might work well also as an alternative to LA or lipo. I can just strap it to the frame. The huge starter LA battery set up they have now is ridiculous at best.
Yep you could easily fit 6 2500mah's in there for about 25 bucks total and 15,000 mah https://www.imrbatteries.com/18650-batteries/

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Thanks for the confirmation and link on the 18650 batteries scorpion1. I like their site.
Thanks KC, it was challenging for sure. Hope all is well, warm and sunny in your neck of the woods. Below zero and snowing here. Brrrrrrrrr.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I fear batteries that look just like dynamite/lol is a lithium ion bat the same as lipo batttery?
Essentially yes, and they require strict charging regulation.
I used a Sealed Lead Acid battery on mine, they are very forging when Charging.

Scorpion1

Mar 21, 2017
AR
Lithium Ion, and Lithium Polymer, a bit different chemical makeup but need to be handled/cared for a bit better than LA , Nimh, of Nicad.