toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama

Attachments

Last edited:

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
good luck you'll love every bit of it i know i do (running same kit)

i'm running 14 tooth motor to 50t to 52t an 36t(mountain bike front derailleur) to 22t rear(mountain bike rear derailleur for gear shifting front gears an chain tension) on a nexus 3 speed hub with 12g spokes an a double wall double eyelet rim i'm also running SBP's UHD front freewheel as i killed the HD's bearing pretty quick so far the UHD has done roughly 1300miles no issues so far

i'm also using SPB's sprocket adapters so changing drive gearing an replacement is easy (i highly recommend doing this asap sbp has new stock)

i'm also running 2 48v x 25ah each lifepo4 batteries so plenty of mileage lol

due to our stupid laws i keep my cruise speed somewhat low of around 18-20 mph however top speed flat out of 40mph can an has been reached without any issue but i try to just stick to cruise speed as my bike isn't built for speed she's a work horse an cruiser lol

re; the 3 speed hub i've tried sturmey archer they are crap i went threw 3 of them including replacing parts, they lock up an wont change gears and are hard to shift gears and the pawls break easy
tried sram same issues the reason i went with them was the disc brake mount on the hub anyway i ended up going back to the nexus 3 worst part was loss of disc brake best part is super smooth an strong haven't broken anything yet (done 1000's of k's with it)....

oh an ps, make sure you make some sort of axle stay on the drive side to prevent the axle being dragged forward (unless you have mountain bike style dropouts even then i'd still make something up for safeties sake!!) otherwise you'll be stopping every 5miles or so (depending on how much power you wind on ) to realign your wheel (no matter how tight you tighten the wheel nuts!!)

hope all this helps.........

Last edited:

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
nah i've got no pictures of it, i just made it up out of aluminium strap and angle nothing special to be honest all it needs to do is stop your axle from moving

out of those 2 you ordered you'll only need one on the right side that's all i've got and all i do is once a week make sure the axle nuts are tight (they will! come loose)..........

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
You picked a nice looking bike for your project, I would just run what it comes with and dont do any power shifts and you might be fine. I would run both drop out stays, makes for easy adjustment of the back wheel.

This is the hub I am running, did not realize what I paid for it, happy with it tho. I ride it in about forth or fifth gear with a little help from the e-motor and just fly along the bike path, battery last up to 30 miles with assist.

https://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Archer-XRK8-Internal-185mm/dp/B003RLAA1S

toker_ace

Oct 15, 2008
alabama
Thanks for the advice! You know there just isn't much info on these SBP electric bike kits. I will try to show the build as it goes. Its funny that when you get into building electric bikes there isn't much to talk about.....Its just get on them and ride. With the 2 strokers its ride a little work on them alot. I got a 2 stroke I build several years ago with SBP jackshaft,combustion chamber,custom carb, bla bla bla that I can't make myself get on. LOL
Again, thanks for the advice! Like I said earlier I have built several electric hub motors and a PVC car with two hub motors but never a mid drive.