Dave's 1962 Schwinn Briggs Bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Moto. No banana seat, something like a cobra shape. Probably straight about 5'' wide curving over the top of the rear tire, then flaring out wider and transitioning nicely into the tank. Connected to the slightly angled back sissy bar on the rear and anchored into a cut off seat post area. Haven't got that far yet. Will make some cardboard templates until we get what we want. I had to slot the left hand gusset to make room for the brake arm clamp, and I thought it looked cool and just finished with that pattern.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Dave didn't make it Saturday but now that the rain is over for a while, I finally got a chance to fit the belts. They look good so now I can make the rear axle adjusters and fit a front pedal sprocket and chain.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hi Curt, it's 3/16'' thick. My choices were 3/16'' or 1/4''. The thick had to ordered so I went with the lighter. I'm glad I did as it seems the perfect size.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I took the bike over to Dave's so he could clean up the welds, shape the cylinder head and do some porting. We got some chrome bars, but he needs to cut about 2'' off each end. Making the seat and sissy bar will put us real close to a test ride.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey Moto, it's still at Dave's and he says he's been doing some work on it. If it doesn't progress very soon, I'll steal it back from him and do some major fabbing. I have a good idea how he wants the seat and sissy bar, so that may be next. Meanwhile I have another bike my Grandson and I are working on that will be built like Dave's but a more traditional style of cruiser. I'll probably start a build thread on it soon.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Okay, I was over at Dave's and brought the bike back to my place. Started working on the seat and got the pan all bent up and mostly fitted. Then I made a new clutch cable bracket because I didn't like the position of the first one. Now I have an option of it pointing up or down. Still lots of shaping to do on the seat. I cut the seat post tube right down to the backbone so the seat sits as low as we can get it without making extensive frame mods. I have a wood cutting blade coming for my band saw so I can cut the seat base to fit the pan and laminate the pieces together ready for some rebond foam. Dave has an old pair of chaps for the cover. Figured out the angle of the sissy bar but still need to design it. I also ordered some 13/16'' O D round cold rolled to anchor the front of the seat to what's left of the down tube. Should be moving right along on this bike as Dave painted the engine block, ported it and polished some cooling fins. I lopped 2'' from each end of the handlebars for a better look.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I got the final shape of the seat pan and traced it onto a wooden 2X6 to cut the seat base from. The 5 pieces will be laminated together and sanded into their final shape before adhering the foam.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Sawed the wood seat base to shape and adhered a layer of rebond foam on top. It's definitely a hard tail. Also made the front anchor that goes into the seat post tube. Next I'll make a cross piece on the sissy bar to support the rear.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Should have the seat done this weekend. I decided to surprise Dave with a kickstarter, but he stopped by and caught me with it already on the bike. Got the tubing for the exhaust pipe and may get it bent up by Sunday. Overhauled a carb and got the intake tube flanges welded on. We are real close to a start up and test ride.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Do you use chain on it, or do the teeth mesh up?

So AWESOME as always, coming along nicely ........................Curt Can you take another shot with more light?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
No chain Curt. The segment gear engages the freewheel sprocket directly and then swings away below it.
Picked up the seat this morning and it looks killer.