Dave's 1962 Schwinn Briggs Bike

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Maybe upper but I think the lower engine mount helps below. We'll see how it looks after it's loaded with stuff. Oh, I see what you mean, a triangle under the engine maybe with a same shape lightening hole in it. That would do a lot and look cool. I'll make some cardboard templates and check it out. Good call Dave.

Last edited:

Harley2you

Oct 14, 2016
Orange, Ca.
Right on....wish Ihad more time off work so I could take some of the fabrication pressure off of you.......but deep down I think you are enjoying it..l.pino.pino.pino.pino.

Jan 17, 2015
ca.
Back in the 70's my dad and a bunch guys, including Malcolm, would meet at little mountain and ride to devore through trails,sandwash and fireroads to the fruit stand and back. I was on a 175 ct1 and my dad a AT125 that we bought from Malcolm when he was on la cadena. Course I only seen Malcolm at the start and finish.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That's great history. I've never met him but always loved what he did for the sport. Heard a lot of stories about riders seeing him on trail rides and how decent he treats people.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I finished the adjusters with parts from McMaster Carr and some homemade items. (2) solid rod ends, (2) 1/4-28 X 3'' grade 8 bolts, (2) locking collars and (4) thrust bearings to make them turn easy. I made 2 bolts with 5/8'' diameter X 5/8'' long heads and threaded them to accept the long bolts. Just turn the bolts equally until you get the belt tensioned and tighten the 4 bearing flange nuts.

One more item I need is a bracket that bolts to the clutch actuator (to keep it from spinning) with a place to screw the cable adjuster into and a 5/8'' hole that one of the homemade bolt head fits into allowing it to move exactly with the assembly when moved through its arc.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Looks great Dale. Way it should be with those flange bearings. And pedaling should be real easy too since you only need to turn one reduction. I've always liked the idea of the clutch on the jackshaft.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Tony, it also keeps the engine width to a minimum while leaving plenty of room for intake and exhaust tubes. I should be able to pedal start without installing a compression release.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I jigged up the clutch housing using three wood blocks the same width as the housing, triangulated with thick plywood sides making it nice and straight with the determined offset ready to tack in. Then I'll remove all the wood for final welding. This is a huge step in finishing the bike because I can fit the belts and make all the necessary adjustments.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
The rear belt hit the clutch housing, so I slotted it and tied it back together with a piece of 1'' channel cut on an angle so it would still be strong.

Then I made gussets for the rear.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Cool gussets definitely look like they belong. Is he using/making a banana seat to go with the sissy bar Or just a sissy bar out the back end? Nice build