How About Foot Brakes?

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Today I rode "The Iron Dragon", my twin-engined monster six miles east to the bike shop, then five miles west to Home Depot and Checkers for an electric roto-rooter and sparkplugs.

Last night I installed a Cateye speedo so this was the first time I recorded speeds. Since sunday traffic was very light, I used the highway mostly.

36.8mph tops on level ground. Maintaining traffic speed at 31-32 mph. .boogy1a

Stopping at the lights became a problem. Front and rear brakes started fading until I started rubbing the front tire with both of my rubber-soled steel-toed boots.

It worked GREAT!! especially along with front and rear brakes. I started using foot brakes at every traffic stop.

Boots look fine. No damage to front tire. Rubber on rubber. All is good.

Switching to front chain drive this year, so disc brake is not an option.

Anyone else using foot brakes?.trk

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Hey, I gotta do what I gotta do to stop in time..duh.

When there's a 5000 lb. cager and an inattentive driver, you need to use ALL the tricks in your bag.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Front disk brake rear plain old caliper shoes realy works good for me so far! Done the flint stone thing before!.duh.

Last edited:

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
We used to do that all the time coming off thoses hills in West Virginia. Two things that can happen, Shoe gets caught in fork and you flip. Shoe gets so hot that by the time you figure it out , it is too late. Those bands in the bendex brakes back then would snap all the time. Remember being catapulted over the handle bars when hitting the brake and the pedal lanched me. Also rode down the hill on the bar once that happened.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My short legs won't reach the fork. They reach that point of tire and rim closest to me.

HEY!! Anybody make a scrub brake for either tire?!