Disc,Drum,Caliper,or Coaster Brakes.

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse wants to know what brakes you prefer on your motorized bicycles and why?

When deciding on what type of brakes you will use on a new build what are most important questions one should consider is it cost, quality, or preference or the way they look on your bike. I know from experience that number one answer is braking power. I prefer disc brakes myself.

Just wanted to get feedback from members on your personal experience with the different manufacturers, and what kind of performance your getting on your motorized bikes with the different types of brakes available today.

My personal favorite front drum brake is the S-Archer Dyno hub, for my builds I prefer these on my tribute Board Track Racers for their stopping power & that they have to look vintage for me.

So what is your preference or favorite manufacturer of Disc, Drum, Caliper, or Coaster Brakes?

Thanks Joe.

Peace Crazy Horse!!!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
its not going to break or derail.if it ever does i can let off the throttle and drop clutch bike will stop in 1 foot.
what happens if you get a flat tire or your engine falls off or your tensioner goes into your wheel?

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
im gonna start by sayin that a front break is very important as MB's give a LOT of use to them....i mostly break with the front wheel.

recomending is a bit difficult as i only know the normal rubber breaks that most have, coaster, and drum...never had discs.

i love my front drum break, and the back coaster,.....they both do wonders to stop me...guess many people here know more......im imagine a good setup would be drum up front and disc in the back

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I currently have a Coaster brake and a side pull on the rear and an Archer Drum brake on the front. I want to be d*mn sure I can stop that thing. I just installed the Drum so I haven't had much experience with it but it seems to be a great improvement over the side pull I had in the front before. If my frame were equipped for it I would have a V-brake in place of that rear side pull. A bike that won't run is inconvenient, a bike that won't stop is dangerous!!!!

.trk

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I am really happy with the V brakes I have on a couple of my bikes. I have the old side pull calipers on one old bike, and I couldn't believe the difference when I put some good Kool Stop pads on it.
However, the next build is going to have disc's front and rear.

John

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
a coaster under a lot of stress can snap the chain, had it happen to me going down a hill on an unpowered bike.. however, unless you got deep pockets for a disc or drum setup, it is the most reliable setup... I'v had what I call rim stop on a few bikes ( are these V brakes? ), both the C stop and the 1 that is longer, along with the old type with the rectangle pads.. and IMO they are a joke compared to a coaster brake.. unless you crank them down tighter than there supposto be, they have nowhere near the stopping power and they wear out quick anyway.. I live in the hills, so it's a major test of bike braking and gearing..

my MB does have rim stops, but there cranked with BN pads

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! This feedback is outstanding, one of the many reasons I chose this forum in my opinion.

This is what makes this forum great, and that is fellow mb'ers sharing their knowledge & experience!

Believe it or not many years ago after taking a course to get a discount on my motorcycle insurance, I much to my amazement learned in the motorcycle safety course that front brakes provide up to 70% of your braking power.

Let know what thoughts you have on that, for my tribute board track racers I use front drum brakes and coaster / V-pull on rear.

Finfan all I can say is Ditto, Bro Joe.

Peace Crazy Horse!!!

EZMOTORBIKE DEALER

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
I love my front brakes. Once I was riding my mountain bike and jumped off a set of steps. As soon as I was in the air this little boy ran out right in front of me. I had about 20 feet to stop once I landed. I got on the brakes as hard as I could and the bike went up on the front wheel. The boy, who was there on a field trip with his class, saw me when I landed and I was headed right for him. He ran back to the bench he was sitting on and I was able to let off the brakes so I didn't go over the handle bars. His whole class saw me on my front wheel for a second or two and they were all "OOOOOHHHHH DID YOU SEE THAT!!" as I rode on by. His teacher thanked me for not hitting him as I passed by. I didn't tell her I would have crashed myself rather than hit him but I was glad I didn't have to go down, that would have hurt bad.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Ha yeah. I only have front breaks on my OCC. I'm using "rim stops" rim stops can be amazingly effective. YOU HAVE TO BUY QUALITY!! that is the only thing if you go stock from wal mart the pads are worthless. However do a little research and you can find good quality "rim stop" pads. I would much rather be rolling with disc's front and back though. They look good I think and mechanical disc's are pretty dang reliable.