• I rarely wear a helmet when riding

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I just man it without one on

Votes: 22 11.1%

• Total voters

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Obviously the next step after those unsightly but Suprizingly respectfull scars would either be to go full tilt into martial arts where you would be feared under assumption of having had brave some sort of attack, or perhaps the rout of a Somalian pirate captain... much to the same effect. lol
Now if the mods won't mind a drift away from the topic, the truth (which is stranger than fiction) is that I studied Tai Chi for a while, then Tang Sou Dao karate and after that Iaido. Perhaps my lack of facial scarring did hold back my ability to strike fear into the hearts of my opponents afterall. ;)
I can't claim any great expertise with a Japanese sword, but I did have a small sideline business for around a year making and fitting new handles and hilt furniture to Oriental swords. I don't do that any more now that I'm a Franciscan, but I still have my tools and jigs and I kept my shinken which I have on display in my bedroom.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Every time I'm riding wot, nothing but road ahead I think, if I eat it right now, will I survive?

Full face helmet, thick leather gloves with knuckle protection and my girlfriend bought me a padded motorcycle jacket that's en route.

Worst I could do to myself is if I wrecked is bang my legs up, maybe my groin, but I'd live.

If I was racing, it wear motocross riding boots and knee pads, but not for daily commuting. Even though I did consider it after I wrecked as 25mph. I am sure 30+ would hurt more.

Train_Wreck

Feb 9, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The 4 inch scar I have across my left kneecap from that accident is quite enough of a keepsake thank you very much.
Facial scars on a woman tend not to have the same dashing appeal they might have on a man so I'm very glad I missed out on the experience.
As for telling stories to innocent youth I have managed to make the odd one go pale and fainty by describing how my knee joint looked with the skin peeled back from the bone
ouch.. stay safe out there! r.ly.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Update... I haven't worn a helmet since the winter of 2013/14. It was impossible to stay warm in the Montana cold, and so the brain bucket stayed at home. It has done so ever since.
I intended to wear it full time. The truth is different.

I recommend that everyone always wear a helmet when riding.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
So very welcome, TreyMon.

My favorite part of that helmet, (aside from the cool goggles) is that it is just a styrofoam filled shell. No matter how hard your head hits the road, it just sort of bounces. Unlike the helmet I wore on the short bus as a child.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I used to wear nothing but a bicycle helmet, although I did wear it all the time, but as my builds have gotten faster and faster, I've recently upgraded to full motorcycle safety gear. Pants, jacket, gloves, boots, back protector, and a SNELL rated helmet.

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I crashed in a bicycle helmet once, going around a property. Slid on snow that had fallen within a minute. The bicycle helmet barely helped, still had a bad headache for a half hour. I now wear a lightweight dirt bike helmet. :D

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
I bought a full face helmet now, I rarely used to care about wearing a helmet UNTIL I broke my face in a motorbike crash. Now I will not ride my bike unless I have a full face helmet, nothing less.

This is a picture of what you will look like if you do not wear a helmet. (This is me a couple weeks after my crash.) June 2016.

.duh.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang Cylon!

Am so glad your still with us!

It's way back in this and another thread, but I did a face plant. As I was jumping back up to standing, (in part, to see if I could) I kept thinking Carol would have to feed with a spoon from now on.

Horrible feeling. I wish it on no one.

I'm sorry you went threw that and thank you for posting.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Nice!

Odd thing I have noticed. If you wear a MC helmet, cars know you are going faster than a bicycle. With a bike helmet or with nothing, cars assume you going bike speed and pullout infront of you.

These are,,,, interesting? But really cool;

https://www.etsy.com/listing/254726...ahrVo_y--dbiBWE-FFcGJwKC1gb4KzD-_4aAgiZ8P8HAQ

I searched "funky scooter helmets" lol
this is what I wear most often. Not as good as your's, Cylon. but when I face planted, worked great as I hit forehead first. Mine is regular leather looking.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=381641598420&lpid=82&&&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

No steak and 'taters threw a straw.

Last edited:

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
From time to time I would wear a German WW2 style helmet I found in the trash riding my bike around lol. But, ever since I broke bones it scared she %!@# out of me. So full face from now on.

Here's a funny video taken back when I was being reckless with my motorbike. Since the crash I've tried to think more when I want to goof around. AKA use my PPE, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWWRuRXB88