My bike for my first build

GoldenMotor.com

kmarcetjr

Mar 30, 2017
Florida
So last week I decided to do my first build to see if I like motorized bikes, plans are to try and use it for my main means of transportation. I ordered a kit from Bicycle Motor Works, the basic kit. And here is what I'm building one, Kent Bayside cruiser, measured the frame and all seems good as far as clearance for the engine. Kit is set to be delivered on Monday, but I'm not going to rush into the build, I want to take my time and do it right.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: chmn22s

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
That's great kmarcetjr your getting ready for your first Motorized Bicycle.

I like that you want to take your time and get it right the first time. When you get started be sure to share your build with us. Was looking at photos of the Kent looks like it will be a nice ride.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy, Kmar. I'm with Dave. Taking your time is the way to go. A lot of the fun is the building part and just makes good sense.

I saw the price and thought "oh man" but is a great choice for a budget bike an' build. 7 spd, front and rear pull brakes, larger tires and their seats are not bad at all. A lil cushie fer de tushie.

As always, just know the fenders will fail and try and kill you. I just remove em until I get around to shoring em up. Which almost never happens, lol.

But ride safe and post pics!

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Good looking ride. Matt at bicycle Motorworks is a great guy. Like Dan said Yep shore up, remove or shorten with a tin snips and shore up those fenders. Love the red rims.
Get a engine mount chain tensioner with the skateboard wheel also for no chain probs and smooth pedaling. Good building.
Zip

kmarcetjr

Mar 30, 2017
Florida
Howdy, Kmar. I'm with Dave. Taking your time is the way to go. A lot of the fun is the building part and just makes good sense.

I saw the price and thought "oh man" but is a great choice for a budget bike an' build. 7 spd, front and rear pull brakes, larger tires and their seats are not bad at all. A lil cushie fer de tushie.

As always, just know the fenders will fail and try and kill you. I just remove em until I get around to shoring em up. Which almost never happens, lol.

But ride safe and post pics!
The rear fender seems to be ok, mounted in 2 places, but the front seems pretty wishy-washy, just mounted at the brake caliper, needs to be shortend or removed, that seat my look comfy, but seems a little stiff, might just need to be broken in. The rear brakes were way out of adjustment, go figure from a wal-store bike, and there were a bunch of spokes that were loose. Going to try to find some KoolStop brake pad for it, and some tire liners, basket for the handle bars, a mirror or 2, a rack for the back and bright lights.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Glad your kit showed up, I know the feeling well. Let the fun begin.
yeah Kent seats are always thick but pretty stiff and it wont break in much if at all.
Besides a bright light and good brakes and pads consider a engine mounted skateboard wheel chain tensioner before you muck your paint up with that kit one that is pretty dangerous. Your chain line and smooth tension is one of the main things for a safe very reliable ride.

Attachments