Motorized Bicycle Woodruff key

GoldenMotor.com

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval
i've had my motor for about 3 weeks know.I've replaced my woodruff key 3 times.Is there any way i can keep it from shearing every other day?i have a onyx from genesis 29er.I have the stock sprocket from the kit on the rear and it has minor wiggle.Could that be the problem?

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Re: Woodruff key

A sprocket that "wiggles" can cause all kinds of problems...which key do you mean?
Clutch?
Rotor?

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval

the key behind the 10t sprocket.should i invest in a pirate cycle custom adapter n sprocket for the rear?My friend got his motor the same day n put it on his haro mountain bike hasnt had problems with it yet.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn

You have a strange problem there...I got nothin.
Might help but I'd check for a bent shaft or bad keyway or something first. I don't see the rear sprocket causing this.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

I'm with maniac on this one. Look for free play (rotational) between your sprocket and shaft, there should be -0-. A slightly wobbly rear sprocket won't break the woodruff key.

When does it break? Are you abusing the clutch?

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval

abushing the clutch?i usually hold it in at stops then start peddaling after that i release the clutch n give it some gas.i thought it might be the rear because its not really centered and wobbly.When i give it gas it start to shake when im going fast i thought it could be the vibration on the motor n the wobbly of the sprocket makeing the nut loose causeing it to shear off.who knows?

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois

The key way is coming out because when you put the gear back on it not going to stay in place .I suggest you to super glue the key way in the slot and let it set a day,or aleast an hour or so.then slide the gear on it.I know you won't have any problems after that.I've done it alot changing seals and gears.

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois

Okay I also forget to tell you that there is two sizes of the wood ruff key the thinner one goes on the crank shaft and the wider one goes on the clutch and drive shaft.I don't know where your buying them at but you need the wider one for the drive shaft.Still glue it on the shaft.This is what I've done with bgf 's motors and grubees.I don't know for sure on other motor's

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

If the rear sprocket is off center to the hub it will cause the chain to loosen and tighten as it travels over the sprockets. If it's off a lot that amount of 'jerking' on the chain could possibly put undue stress on the woodruff key.

I'd take the advice given above as far as making sure you're using the correct key and get that rear sprocket installed correctly. Even if it isn't causing the key problem, a sprocket that wobbles will cause you headaches down the road. Guaranteed.

Tom

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval

The key i got off of bikeberry it fit perfect.ill buy another one at ace hardware store i believe its a 3/16? ill put some super glue on it.....ill try anything at this point.
As far as the sprocket i have 48 spokes and the kit is ment for a normal 26inch bike.i guess ill go ahead n buy the pirate cycle sprocket n adapter.have any of u guys bought stuff from them?i try calling but the line has been changed.
Thanks for all the help guys.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

It may be cheaper and easier to change the rear wheel.
Yep, cause you might have problems getting that Pirate adapter to work on a 48 spoke wheel. I believe they say on their site that their adapters are designed for 36 spokes.

Also, the proper woodruff key will be a metric size. The key must fit snug in the key way and sprocket or you'll be back to square one. Any play will allow the sprocket to rotate just enough to start working on the key and eventually it will either sheer it or damage the key ways, if that isn't already the case. It might be why you keep breaking them. If the key ways are damaged you have bigger problems.

Tom

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

Regardless if the wobble on the rear sprocket is causing the problem with your woodruff key, you need to fix that wobble. You will have nothing but trouble if you ride with that wobble. I had to put the rag joint on a 32 spoke wheel (its made for 36 spokes), three of the holes interfered with spokes. I had to make some new holes through the sprocket, rubber and brackets and put two bolts equally spaced between the three that interfered. After much tweaking I got mine dead center. So either spend some time and work out the wobble, get some kind of sprocket adapter that fits, or change your rear wheel. You need that sprocket to be wobble free....

On the woodruff key, this is not a a super common problem. Perhaps your motor sprocket isn't tightened down properly? If its a little loose it will jerk one way when you drop the clutch to start the motor, and then jerk the other way when the motor starts to pull the chain. Doing this time and again could cause that key to sheer. This is a hard nut to tighten properly, the spark plug tool they give you that tightens this nut is hard to use with good results, and the motor likes to rotate when you crank down on it. I recommend you go to the hardware store and buy a real socket that is the size of that spark plug tool (I forget how many mm it is off hand), use the real socket with a real wrench and you will get that nut tightened properly. To prevent the motor from turning over while tightening, remove the gear side cover, take a shop rag and double over the end a few times so its thick and put it between the big and small bevel gear so that it gets dragged into the gears when you tighten the nut. If you have a thick enough lump of rag there the gears will seize immediately and allow you to torque that nut, and the rag will come right out easily when done. (if your rag is too thin it can get dragged in and stuck in the gears, I like to use the doubled over sewn edge of a rag) Other people use other things, wood dowel, penny, one manual shows a screwdriver jamming those gears. The rag works well for me, I don't want metallic items jamming my gears. Also, I like to use some BLUE Loctite on that nut on the motor sprocket.

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval

i'm gonna go to autozone n buy that socket n blue locktight on saturday then.As far as going with a 26" wheel in the back that's genius.I dont know why i never thought of that......man.All help is much appreciated.Can hardly wait till april 13th.ill keep you guys posted.brnot

mannyphresh

Feb 18, 2013
moval

I took all ur guys suggestions and put them to work.I bought 2 new shimano wheels, tubes and white walls.
They work great i road the bike all day n night saturday.I bought a woodruff key grinded it down to fit then super glued it in place and put lock-tight on the bolt.All the vibration went away.the rear sprocket is centered with no wobble at all.......good stuff.thanks a million guys.xct2

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA

...I bought a woodruff key grinded it down to fit then super glued it in place......
I've heard the recommendation to super glue the woodruff key in the slot, to me that doesn't seem like a logical thing to do. The woodruff key is also referred to as a sheer key, which means it is designed to sheer (rip) if the tension is too great on the union. It is there to protect your motor in case something goes wrong (chain jam etc). Your key will still sheer and protect your motor, but with the bottom half super glued into the keyway I would worry that you will not be able to get it cleared out to put a new one in??? If you are unable to clear the keyway slot your kinda screwed. You would either have to grind it clear somehow, or replace the clutch shaft.... but the clutch shaft has the clutch plate attached, and the large spring mechanism, so replacing just the shaft takes some doing.... and an entire clutch assembly is kinda pricey..... kind of a PITA compared to just slipping a new key into a clean slot.

Instead of super glue I just use a tiny bit of blue loctite, let it set up a bit and you're good to go...

wan37

May 29, 2011
Illinois

That's a good point nightcruiser I know blue loctite works too.I have done it too.I only put a small amount of super glue tho.I got the super glue from another user on here.I think is why because it Set's up quicker.Loctite takes a lot longer,just basically some thing to hold it in the slot when installing.

LordJaidous

Mar 4, 2017
CA: CALIFORNIA
I had the same thing happen and fixed it by putting a crush washer (the ones for spark plugs) against the pinion, the flower nut fits inside, then used a impact drill to lock it in place. So far so good. My engine was three days old when my woodruff key came out. I was flying down the road and went to slow down when suddenly a chirp and vriiing of the engine as I lost output power

Kartooo

Nov 18, 2016
MA
i recently switched over to the thinner 410h chain. had a machine shop cut a wider slot into a few thin sprockets that have the thin slot. also had him turn down wide gears to fit my chain. there is no quality control. the sprockets, woodruff key and hole cut in the crank are like snowflakes, no 2 are alike. some had the groove in the gear offset, wider, narrower. some of the gears are actually hardened some pretty soft. you might of had a mismatch between the woodruff key/gear/crank. maybe it wasn't torqued down enough. i use my 3/8th's drive air gun and was amazed how many turns it took to get the gear bottomed out against the inner bearing race on the countershaft.