Tilting the GX200

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
So how far can you tilt these engines?

The main concern I have is lubrication. I can custom fabricate an intake to rotate the carburetor, but lubrication may be a problem if rotated too far. (And I know about the oil level shutoff switch)

I want the cylinder to be vertical, BTW. So that's a pretty serious (45~ish degree) angle from stock.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Agreen,

I am not an expert with tilting the slanted engines, but I have studied it. What I have gleaned is that it works well to tilt the engine vertical, but most recommend keeping the engine just a hair slanted back a few degrees under 90 degrees in the direction that it is originally slanted. So if you put the motor in as designed, you can then tilt it up to just shy of straight.

From your pictures, it looks like you are going past vertical and leaning it forward quit a bit. I am not sure if this is a good idea, could cause problems oiling the top end.

As far as oil levels, I have read that you plug the original oil filler spot and then dril and tap a new fill hole at the new "top" of the case. Search sportscarpat and CCC (culver city classics) for photo examples. You then must fill the case until the oil level reaches the crankshaft, allowing the rod dipper to splash up oil. I have read 21 oz. or so.

Good luck with the build, the gx200 is a strong engine and can be modified with quite a few aftermarket parts.

Gilbert

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
One other thing to consider when mounting these engines in an upright position is the ability to remove the valve cover for valve adjustment and such.

If you can't remove the valve cover when mounted, you will have to remove the engine from the frame just to make these simple adjustments. Just a little heads up here.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Thank you both very much! I will be modifying the frame a lot actually, so this is most definitely not its final resting place by any means. I'm a very tall guy, so this short frame is going to get stretched out in the middle for engine room and also leg room. I will be gusseting as necessary to keep it from buckling. I'll quite possibly be using some motorcycle tires on some quality wheels as well. I don't want to cut corners.

But, I'll save the rest of that for later. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself!

Thanks again guys. I cant wait to build it.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Might want to think about put a drop loop off a girls frame in there as long as you are modifying the frame, going to be KOOOOOOOOOL ...........Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOOOOOOOOOOOL That's a nice bike, maybe you could just bend the down tube and makes some mounts like them..............Curt