paint gas tank, gas spill, paint dissolve

GoldenMotor.com

shiloh0

Jun 28, 2008
what kind of paint doesnt' react with the gas i spill when i fill my tank? other than hooking up the car paint sprayer and using car paint? is there an aerosol that is more durable than the what i used?(the cheap stuff)

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I used aerosol spray paint, I think it was Krylon. I added a decal after the paint dried, then I brushed on a couple of coats of polyurethane, mostly to protect the decal. No problems and plenty of spills .......

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
If you apply a coat of clear engine paint it should be resistant to gas and oil spills. Keep in mind that the paint needs sufficient drying time.

graucho

Feb 21, 2008
Minnesota
what kind of paint doesnt' react with the gas i spill when i fill my tank? other than hooking up the car paint sprayer and using car paint? is there an aerosol that is more durable than the what i used?(the cheap stuff)
__Do you have access to a hobby airbrush pen? If you do, this is how I get around the gas eating the paint problem.
Ive painted all of my mini chopper projects. Believe it or not here's what I do...
__Ace hardware, Smallest pint can of Gloss Rustoleum mixed to order. (they have a color chart for colors) 1/3 part Gloss Rustoleum to 2/3 parts of acetone. Yup, the acetone is 4 times more plosive than the gas and it evaporates 10 times faster. Gas dosent effect the paint because the paint isnt as potent as the acetone. The acetone seems to harden the paint, or chemically changes its base? 6 thin coats and the finish has plenty of gloss. Dries to the touch in 10 minutes. 3 coats of wax after 5 days.
__I havent dumped gas on it for hrs, but ive wipped it off after 3-4 minutes with no problems.
Im sure automotive paint may be better, but I dont want to pay $45.00 for a quart of paint. $40.00 for thinner and resins/hardners. Im just cheap! $12.00 and I paint the whole mini chopper. I only use about 8 tbl spoons of paint for the entire chopper. Good luck on whatever you do. graucho P.S. This principal dosen't apply with canned Rustoleum. The secret is in the acetone.

Attachments

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
some paint that I've discovered, way back when I had a similar problem you're having, is engine paint with ceramic. You can find it in any auto parts store and you don't really need to use primer or clear. It comes in a wide variety of colors. Many of them come in either low or high gloss finish. My current bicycle sports this paint. The frame is low gloss black and the tank is a mix of OD green and Cast Iron. I used clear and auto adhesive pin stripe on the tank.

bike tank.jpg