My 2 cents on painting

GoldenMotor.com

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
Hi all

Before you check out the two pictures, let me explain.

I wanted to show my "bad" paint job, and explain why.

My bike is for exercise / fun and all I wanted to do was get rid of the rust and protect the metal. I also didn't want to add any extra layers that might hide future rust, or raise the time/cost of having the frame media blasted if I ever decide to do the job right.

Complete job cost around $12 for two rattle cans of paint, one auto primer, and one black engine paint.

Time involved was less than an hour of actual work. I didn't count the time between coats (4) as I was working on other projects.

All I did was grind off the rust and bubbled paint (hidden rust) with my Dremel A file could have done it just as fast and probably left a smother metal surface. Then blew off the dust, a quick wipe down with Goo Gone (it smells like lacquer thinner) followed by two coats of primer and two coats of black.

First picture is the worst part, the area that had the most rust, but as bad as that looks, seeing it from a distance (2nd pic), as those I pass will see it, the bike looks fine.

frame-worse-part.jpg
frame.jpg

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Looks good to me. I like the welded motor-mounts, I would like to do that with my Schwinn, but it would be impossible to match the paint. Have you run the bike with those motor-mounts? I think that is one of the most important aspects of keeping the vibration away. Have fun, Dave
PS: I volunteered to drive an 18 wheeler for Phoenix Motorcars today, I haven't driven in over 15 years, and I am as nervous as a cat. Oh I will be pulling a 50 footer.

SmokingDog

May 21, 2008
The welded mounts work OK. I ran the bike about an hour with the 44T sprocket before tearing it down for paint and inspection. Now have a 56T which I like very much in the hilly area where I live. Still need to solve the brake problem (cheapy side pull on front rim) and buy a new chain for the peddles.

Am still having tuning probs, but on my next day off (TUE) I plan on taking it down to the valley and put 20+ miles on it. Should help some. Funny thing is it starts right up... But then sputters until about 3/4 throttle where it leans out and hummmmms. Tried the top three settings on the needle, but doesn't seem to help much... Kinda goes from poor to poorer.