i've come to believe

GoldenMotor.com

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
hi all, the time has come to do this.....stumbled on a YouTube of a guy on a Golden Eagle belt drive last year and have not been able to forget how cool it seemed to build up a bicycle capable of riding all day for pennies per mile....the fun factor goes without saying. i'm a daily bicycle rider in baltimore city and revert to the camry when my bike is just too slow to get somewhere a few miles too far....or the pavement is melting mid-summer and i don't want to arrive in a sweat...the Tanaka kits are sweet but also $650 to the door.....is there a kit that stands out for quality yet is priced to be hard to top....i have heard of Grubee before and they seem fairly sorted out...i'd like to avoid any kit w/ crappy chain,sprocket,bolts,plates,bushings and so forth....i do not mind working w/ parts that need tweaking and/or careful set up.....but ding dong garbage would be a terrible way to kick off this day dream to reality project....all of you now know the true starting point kits where anything less is doomed to failed parts and no spares....i am sure i will have more than one of these machines over time w/ various systems,types,brands......i just want to avoid a stupid purchase hopeing a bargain is like all the more expensive kits. thank you and i am happy to join your community of like minded 2 wheelers.
sincerely, charlie in baltimore maryland

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
2-strokes are on the way out thanks to the EPA. The new 4-stroke kits cost more, but you're always going to get more torque if not RPM's out of a thumper. I probably should have done more research before diving into a 2-stroke kit, but I've got it now. So I'm just going to savor this first build and wait til 4-stroke jackshaft kits become prevalent.

drn2

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
2-strokes are on the way out thanks to the EPA. The new 4-stroke kits cost more, but you're always going to get more torque if not RPM's out of a thumper. I probably should have done more research before diving into a 2-stroke kit, but I've got it now. So I'm just going to savor this first build and wait til 4-stroke jackshaft kits become prevalent.

drn2
The two stroke/epa thing is still an internet rumor.....and four strokes don't always make more rpm or more torque per cc than two strokes.

Just sayin'.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
it seems every year around this time thier is a shortage of 2 strokes and the epa banning rummors start. so far thier is still 2 stroke motors to be found

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
hey paul, having a time of it....got to do an intro but 4 of my responces directed me to sign in again and then loads of words were lost and i have nothing to show for it....just trying to thank those who welcomed me...i have the green lite in my posting rules box but no go when i click post reply.....no attachments...no pictures....just carefully thought out words and nothing to show for my time.....i'm a little frustrated here. something else i'm not getting? chas

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland

drn2
thank you for your welcome....alot to digest here....enjoy your kit and keep after it til it works to best of its abilities.....i think i'm going to get a Grubee 2 stroke to start with. cheap and alot of support here and from all the sellers. chas

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
The two stroke/epa thing is still an internet rumor.....and four strokes don't always make more rpm or more torque per cc than two strokes.

Just sayin'.
i hear you! i really appreciated your build up article from '08 reminding us of the details that mustn't be overlooked. i wrote 2 thoughtful replys that disappeared when i clicked submit reply....so i think i'll keep it brief.....thanks for the hello.... PS: 2 strokes will be around for many more years in my opinion....too cheap and thrifty on fuel to get outlawed. what do you think of the grubee 80 as a first kit?

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
wellcome to the forums Slowenuff,if your looking to buy a 2stroker kits its a good choice,their cheap on the pocketbook,you said your getting a grubee kit,there great kits,I have bought 5 Raw 80cc kits and they all have been good to me.I'm going on a year plus and there still running strong.So Grubee or Raw their both good kits.

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
hey, liked your vids.....and thank you for the 1st hand feedback on the Raw motor....just kinda noticed them the other day.....real easy on the wallet....i'm gonna assume most all kits now have quality main bearings atleast, some even at the wrist pin....again, thanks for the welcome w/ your experience w/ Raw. i plan on posting what i discover as i begin a build. charlie in baltimore

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hey Charlie,
I spend my winters in Maryland north of Frederick, but have a daughter and son in Baltimore. There are a few others here in Maryland, at least one other in Baltimore. If you post a thread asking for Maryland riders, you'll find somebody near you, maybe. Can't hurt to try and you might end up with a good local contact, maybe even somebody to go riding with. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.
SB

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
Hey Charlie,
I spend my winters in Maryland north of Frederick, but have a daughter and son in Baltimore. There are a few others here in Maryland, at least one other in Baltimore. If you post a thread asking for Maryland riders, you'll find somebody near you, maybe. Can't hurt to try and you might end up with a good local contact, maybe even somebody to go riding with. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build.
SB
thanks for the welcome SB....i have seen 2 or 3 motorbikes around the city and it never fails to put a smile on my face.....i'm somewhat of a perfectionist so this project will take me some time....i keep looking at kits like the SB Stinger for 160 to the door and figure i want to see what i can do w/ a basic kit like that.....
i moved here in the fall of '99 and have grown to like the city's size and energy....i may post to see who's around, but not til i have my bike on the road......remember the licence plates on the front bumpers of hot rods in the 50s/60s..."lone wolf-no club"..... that's kinda me since i hit 60....
again, thanks for your welcome and thoughts.... charlie in baltimore.duh.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Sloenuff,
Like this?
Anyone who remembers these is alright in my book. Welcome to the forum. There's lots of good info here for the newbie and expert alike. Have fun, Ride safe.
Tom

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ah, another old guy. Geezers rule! I'm 65 going on 13. I'm heading back to Minnesota for the summer in a few days, but will be back in Maryland next fall. Nice to meetcha...
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi slowenuff, and my welcome from Canada also, When you hit 60 I hope it didn't hurt you to much.
Bent a couple of my wheels but that was all.

You will find that if it has been thought of or tried the folks here have done it. Been a tremendous help since I joined.

Lived in Red Oak outside St. Micheals on the Eastern Shore, Loved it.

Steve.

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
Sloenuff,
Like this?
Anyone who remembers these is alright in my book. Welcome to the forum. There's lots of good info here for the newbie and expert alike. Have fun, Ride safe.
Tom
man-0-man..........that's the plate....and look at your custom...sweet!!! thanks for the welcome, see ya down the road apiece.... charlie in maryland.duh.

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
Hi slowenuff, and my welcome from Canada also, When you hit 60 I hope it didn't hurt you to much.
Bent a couple of my wheels but that was all.

You will find that if it has been thought of or tried the folks here have done it. Been a tremendous help since I joined.

Lived in Red Oak outside St. Micheals on the Eastern Shore, Loved it.

Steve.
the day i turned 60 i DID notice i was a couple of clicks slower.....hey, ya know its gonna happen so i was less surprised than the day i hit 40 and i literally couldn't read a magazine i picked up.........time for glasses....now i have reading glasses all over the place so i don't get caught....i have a 16' MFG w/ a 3cyc 4 stroke honda 40 hanging on the transom...i love this entire region. been to St. Michaels many a time.
thanks for the hello
charlie in baltimore.duh.

slowenuff

May 5, 2010
baltimore,maryland
Ah, another old guy. Geezers rule! I'm 65 going on 13. I'm heading back to Minnesota for the summer in a few days, but will be back in Maryland next fall. Nice to meetcha...
SB
sb, love the bike in your id pic ... enjoy 10,000 lakes. i motorcycled up there as support for the Norwest Cup pro bicycle race back in '95..... being from the east coast i am always so impressed w/ the vastness long gone from these here parts....and i'll be, there really do seem to be little lakes everywhere.....people were real nice, abit serious...and what's w/ the singing around the piano mitch miller style at the holiday inn bar.....it felt and looked very victorian. liked it.... another thing long gone from these here parts.... again, thanks for the welcome..... charlie in maryland.duh.