New Guy From Sarasota, FL

GoldenMotor.com

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Hello everyone! My name is Phil and I've been riding a motorized bicycle for about a month and half now. I decided to build a motorized bicycle as a daily commuter to work - as I only work 4 miles away from home - and go on the occasional trip to the grocery store.

I did not order a brand new kit. In fact, I pieced my kit together from several parts I collected through craigslist. I also didn't purchase a bicycle, instead I used an old Raleigh mountain bike that was donated to me (which I was already using to commute to work). So at this time I would say that I have a total of 80 dollars invested into my motorbike.

It wasn't all smooth sailing, in fact it was quite frustrating at first. I had gone through two carburetors, two coils, a magneto and stater before the motor was in operational condition. Upon my first successful firing of the motor the front motor mount broke off and the spark plug en-lodged itself inside my left calf as the motor's torque twisted the entire engine sideways.

The pain was numbed by the succesful firing of the motor and I was happy to know that all the trials and tribulations were worth it. Thanks to a plumbing strap, lots of zip ties and spray paint - I now have a fully functional motor bike that reliably takes me to work everyday.

I'm actually quite amazed that this beat up old 66cc starts up and runs so well. I'm a big guy and the motor shows no signs of being worn out. The homemade cardboard gaskets don't hold the fluids very well, but she's not meant to be pretty :).

The Dirty Rat Bike, as I call it, has fueled my passion for this new, wonderful way of transportation - I'm addicted. I've already purchased a brand new 29inch onyx cruiser for a new build and plan on ordering a brand new motor this weekend. I'll post a few pictures below, thanks for having me and I look forward to speaking with you all on here. :)

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to Motorbicycling.com chillphillyphil glad you joined us.

That onyx cruiser is going to make one good looking motorized bicycle.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome, Phil. Being new here you probably didn't see the warnings about this hobby being addictive. Build one and then you have to build another, then another and the next thing you know you run out of garage space :)

That cruiser will make a much more comfy ride for your commute. The frame will require a little ingenuity to get the engine mounted properly but there's plenty of help and advice available here if you need it. Good luck.

Have fun and ride safe.

Tom

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Thank you both for the very warm welcome! I look forward to speaking with you all again, in celebration of just ordering my new motor I took a couple pictures. So very excited to have a motor bike that will be entirely new! :D

.trk

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Phil,
Here's a link> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6427 to an old thread that addresses the issue of a custom front engine mount for cruiser style frames. Typically they have either oversized or curved down tubes that require a special engine mount. Nothing impossible to build but often necessary with the cruisers.
Good luck and keep us posted on your build.

Incidentally, you live in one of the best areas of Florida. Do you know Englewood? Stump pass? Lemon Bay? The Rum Bay Bar on Palm Island? :)

Tom

chillphillyphil

Dec 28, 2012
Sarasota, FL
Phil,
Here's a link> http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=6427 to an old thread that addresses the issue of a custom front engine mount for cruiser style frames. Typically they have either oversized or curved down tubes that require a special engine mount. Nothing impossible to build but often necessary with the cruisers.
Good luck and keep us posted on your build.

Incidentally, you live in one of the best areas of Florida. Do you know Englewood? Stump pass? Lemon Bay? The Rum Bay Bar on Palm Island? :)

Tom
I agree with you, it's a very nice area, a bit dangerous for a bicyclist but there's a laid-back mentality. I've been to all those places you mentioned - you frequent there?

Thanks for the heads up on the front motor mount! I really like the idea of not having to drill into the frame, so regardless of my solution - I believe I will attempt to do something along those lines.