Kids OG Shwinn stingray

GoldenMotor.com

Pdoggy

Dec 2, 2012
Upland
Hey guys. I am new at this stuff but excited to get started. I am not sure if I can squeeze a motor into my bike! I believe it a 1960's original kids stingray. I measured it from the seat post opening to under the crank and it measures 14 inches. I am a smaller guy and this bike is perfect fit for me. I also dont want to have to drill or cut into the frame because its OG. Any Suggestions???

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
take a picture of it so we can see what you're dealing with.
if it is in fact a 16" schwinn, you must be REALLY small.
16" bikes were made for kids (5-8 years old).
if you have a 20" frame, and it is the stingray style, yes, a motor will fit.
how do i know? I built one. Mine is not an actual schwinn stingray, it's a knock off but it has a very similar frame design as a stingray.

the tricky part will be finding an engine that has the carb bolted right to the cylinder rather than one(that is the most typical) that has an intake manifold tube.
I got my engine off e-bay, and it's a typical china 50 c.c. 2 stroke, but there is no intake manifold tube and it uses a much different carb than the standard nt carb.
yes, it's only 50 c.c.'s, but it's just as fast as my 66 c.c. that's on my occ chopper.

Pdoggy

Dec 2, 2012
Upland
Dragray...hey thanks for the input man. I am pretty positive it is a 20". i am 5'3 so i fit on the 20" perfectly. The bike i plan on building is my profile pic. if you want I can post more pics of it. I was thinking of going with the 66cc/80cc skyhawk gt5 but now that i have your input I am not to sure that it will fit.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I looked at your pic. and yes, you have a real schwinn 20" stingray frame.
Look at the bottom frame tube on your bike compaired to the bottom frame tube on mine.
Schwinn stingrays had that "pot-belly" lower frame tube.
Mine is straighter because it's not an actual schwinn, so i'm not sure how much less/more room you will have.
one dead give away to tell if you have a real schwinn frame is the kick stand.
schwinn frames have a tube welded to the frame that the kick stand goes into and is held in with a spring and pin.
other frames (like mine) that look like schwinns, have a standard bolt on kick stand.

Deimus

Dec 11, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Welcome. Regarding the intake manifold, check out the Manic Mechanic billet intake manifold. It might give you the clearance you need.