AMF Schwinn

GoldenMotor.com

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Been watching other builds while I am accumulating parts and knowledge for my other build.

In the process picked up a AMF Roadmaster moped engine off Ebay for $30.00 and wanted to play with it. It's a 2 stroke 49cc and is made by McCulloch (BHE 900) in the late 70's. Has two magnetos and a alternator to generate electricity for a headlight, horn, stop lamp and tail lamp on the original moped. Engine also has a compression release valve.

Put on a new ignition system, spark plug, carburetor, carburetor return spring and stator. Wasn't getting spark by turning the flywheel with my cordless drill, so it was suggested to mount the engine and pedal the bike to check for spark. That's where I am at this point. The mounting system is preliminary. I plan on using a scissor lift system on both mounts. Metal was what I had lying around.

The bike is a 80's Schwinn that I bought several years ago for $40 and had in storage. I know the knobby tires are not ideal for a friction drive, but that's what was on the bike - the still hold air after all this time! I'll definitely upgrade the tires.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47078&stc=1&d=1334522697

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47079&stc=1&d=1334522752

Still a work-in-progress. Need a fuel tank, clutch level for lift system, and throttle.

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Attachments

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Nice engine find! Were you able to get spark after mounting it? There's a lot of old hands around that can help you with an older engine. :)

Bikeberry, Pistonbikes, Dax, or Gasbike can help you with the miscellaneous parts you need. See which one is closest to you, to save on shipping.

I say run those tires 'til the roller eats the tube, then worry about a new set. :p What's the diameter of your roller btw?

gl, that's a nice machine.

Last edited:

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Nice bike ! My first moped was an amf roadmaster when I was 15 . I rode that thing everywhere . Only went 15 to 20 mph , but always ran great. It's nice to see an old engine revived.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Yeh,

able to produce spark - got a nice jolt holding the plug as I spun the bike in circles in my driveway!

I don't know the size of the roller since it was factory installed. It looks like a pain to remove, according to the factory service manual. I'll just glue a new piece of sandpaper to the roller if I have too.

Per a video on You Tube, the original AMF Roadmaster moped goes about 20mph - it's a putt-putt type.

Thanks for the compliments,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
very awesome build, i love the look of that motor

and its already prebuilt you lucky duck!

gas tank should be cake

if you can, shorten the mount to tuck the engine as close to the seat post as you can without it getting in your legs and foots way, it will be alot stronger and i think would look better

paint the steel red like the rest of the bike and leave the motor in its old lgory
very cool bike and powerplant
welldone!

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
hi all nice build BigBlue, i worked at AMF when those were being built. i worked in the welding department and i welded a lot of those frames. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa those where the days, sex and drugs and rock n roll, lol just kidding . the motors were built by mccullough if memory serves me right.

Last edited: