DIY/DIY(Redundant?) Recumbent

GoldenMotor.com

4950cycle

Sep 8, 2010
Dunnellon,FL.
Use a belt and do what I did. But go roller instead of wheel sheave (pulley) . You guys remember my HF belt driven duel pulley 2 speed on that Mongoose ! Still running trouble free.

DuHolt

Aug 21, 2011
Batavia, IL
First off, awesome build, it is super clean. I did have a couple quick questions for ya though. How come you went with the scissor hinge on this build instead of going over the top of the motor with the cable to lift it (I saw you did this on another one of your builds)? Also did you bend the square tubing yourself or scavenge it from something that already had it bent?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks for the compliment on the build. The scissor lift is superior from a mechanical advantage stand point if properly made. The direct lift has to be placed high above the pivot point to get the lever arm it needs, somewhat inconvient on most builds. With a heavy engine like the industrial types its kinda clumsey. The bike with the direct cable now has a scissor hinge. This bike was built from what was basically in the scrap bin, in fact its referred to as Scraps. The curved square section was something from a truck bumper step.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Well its finished again. Added front and rear fenders and the Edge wind fariing, The rear fender is sectioned, the front part fixed to the frame. The rear part is attatched to the roller cover with a stout bracket and rides up and down with the clutch action. Keeps stuff off the seat and under seat tray. Never have had mixed finished fenders, but the rear section is chrome, and the front blue, so thats the way it is. The wind fairing is nice, need to spend some time tweeking its position, but seems to have cleaned the bike up a bit as I got my highest top speed yet 37mph @ 5650 rpm. It could be the engine is finally broken in and the exhaust is more free breathing also. Hope to take it on a 50 mi shake down this weekend if Irene doesnt visit.

Attachments

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Well you have a Cadillac there. Take plenty of coffee with you on that fifty mile run so you won't go to sleep at the wheel, er handlebars because you get too comfortable. Looks real good.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Thanks 4950! Yeah 35+mph for sure. Its because the engine will rev high enough to do it, its ok for short periods like getting out of the way of traffic and similar. Actual cruise is in the 27-30 range when traveling. Lotsa times I just poke along at 22-25 looking at stuff.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
My experience with the recumbent FD prompted me to build a pedal only version. I had pedaled the FD version quite a lot to get it to the point of installing the engine, and really enjoyed it. I did build this one with straight rear triangle legs just in case the MB urge hit. I had fought the urge(mainly because I had no engine) when a friend in my R/C club called and asked if I wanted a Honda engine. What he had was a red no name HF type engine. Now you can see my delima, frame completed to the point of engine installation and an engine appears! An in frame FD would be so easy. Also thought about a chain drive this time. Decisions decisions!

Attachments

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I have pedaled my in-frame kit bike 10 + miles before. It is a real workout, esp with the left chain still on the rear cog! haha. The dax bike is much easier. I like to pedal till I get tired then motor back to the car.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO
did you ever make the second build ?

thanks for linking me to this it has beeen a very valuable toool in my trials and tribualtions with my build have all your pics printed off and use them as my guide through my build .

almost forgot that bike realy came out nice . realy like the color you chose to .

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
No problem Andrew. No I Never finished the second build. I had a nice 7spd internal hub with an integrated brake for it. Had made a special front chain ring so it would have 2 ranges. Was gonna be a nice bike but I just kept using one more thing I had for it on other builds. The final straw was when I cut the head tube off for the 1900s vintage build. The frame went in the metal bin at the recycle center last week. I guess its A Re-Recycled Recumbent now!

Thanks for the comps on the blue bike! The blue is a Kyrlon color I found in the clearance table at ACE. Looks especially nice @ $1 a can-LOL.

Last edited: