Old popular machanics plans

GoldenMotor.com

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
FUN! FUN! There is even a steam engine plan I sent to fishguts. I can remember a lot of these when I was a Kid. My uncle gave me a big box of PM and mancnix illastrated. And I am still looking on this fourm now..........Curt

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Those engines are SO hard to find. I've tried to get one before but they sell in like a day on Ebay. I like the instructions though! Not a motorized bicycle though, it's a motorcycle :D

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
There is so many old small engines that were made. If you could find a small 5/8 hp one I think you could get buy with it. You just have to ask everyone you come in contatac with if they know of any. A year ago I got a couple at a grage sale for I think $20. I have seen a lot of them at tractor shows but most of them are stuck and need rebuild. I just found a young guy that has some and might sell one with a kick start. Keep digin and you find.
Most cops are after the one that does wrong and going to fast not the guy that is doing right. and if you exsplain that its only 5/8 hp and not high rpm's I don't think you will be botherd. How about a 50cc Honda in place of the briggs? have to gear it down some more, but would still work.......Curt

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Those hondas don't have the classic look. Someday I'll find one of those old puttering 1hp engines with the overhead exhaust valve, when I do, I'll make a motorized bike with it :D
Until then, I'm happy with my china engines.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I will have to agree. Even if you have to lescence it as a motor cycle it would be worth it. Did you see the video of the one made from a VW cyclinder and head?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I loved that video, people's creativity in the realm of motorized things never fails to amaze me. I wish I could make an engine out of different parts from different engines

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I just got the little Lifan 100cc/2.5hp. Its going into a Cranbrook with all belt drive similar to a Whizzer. I have the power bike plans from PM and will probably build it similar in some respects. I believe I can antique the Lifan to a respectable level. I Ride my 148cc Whizzer every where, as long as I ride reasonably, and wear head protection, I have never had a 2nd look from law enforcement.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LS, I have to ask him but have a buddy who does scrapping and mechanics. When he says OK to give you his number, I will email you. He is just south of Hartford and always has a few small engines for sale. He puts em on clist as well.

Send me a blank email. Also it will remind me to ask him. Good guy and you can haggle with him. [email protected]

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I just got the little Lifan 100cc/2.5hp. Its going into a Cranbrook with all belt drive similar to a Whizzer. I have the power bike plans from PM and will probably build it similar in some respects. I believe I can antique the Lifan to a respectable level. I Ride my 148cc Whizzer every where, as long as I ride reasonably, and wear head protection, I have never had a 2nd look from law enforcement.
YEP like LouieMCman, msrfan,Blackhog,And some others are doing. Make do with what you can find or got. Sure be KOOOOL if there was repoduction old motor that one could buy..........Curt

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
One neat thing about the Lifan is if I want to run free air cooling which I just may do, the cooling fan is plastic and unbolts leaving a basically smooth flywheel. Also the exhaust comes out the side of the cylinder, just begging for some sort of cool exhaust. Being an L head, it shares the design of the older engines anyway. I have a B&S cast iron engine circa 1952, but its just too big to shoe horn in a bike.