Fast Eddie here...

GoldenMotor.com

Fast_Eddie

Feb 12, 2010
Kansas City, MO
hola! great site! i re-build/kustomize kroozers and novelty type bicycles. its a hobby. i also build/ride gravity bikes and streetluges. I skate/lonbgoard. I'm planning to build a zoobomb style chain-less mini this summer to roll down the parking garages downtown. i have a show bike under contruction and a 'goofy' coaster trike made for drifting. anyoo....

i'm planning to purchase a two stroke motor to mount to a bike i have this summer. it is a sturdy old cantilever frame. it has an old clevelend welding springer fork with a road/wheel tire, bent seat post, awesome big comfy sprung seat w/flames, big ol beach cruiser bars on the front, road bike stem w/ decline and short reach, it'll look totally old school! i also have a set of rear blinkers and a generator/light rig for the bike. i have a cool 'lid' style helmet w/ flames but i still gotta get a pair of those goggles i see in the old pix!

here's some questions - the rear wheel i havent decided on cuz i wanted to ask around a bit first. i have a 3 speed internally geared free wheel hub i'd like to use if it's possible. is that a good or bad idea? i have a question about coaster brake hubs, if a 2 stroke motor backfires will it throw me over the bars if i have a coaster brake hub on the back? there is no where to mount brakes to the clevelend welding forks and i dont wanna weld on 'em, would 2 v-brakes on the back be enough stopping power? how fast will a 2 stroke motor take a 200 lb me with back pack?
fast eddie

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Eddie, (you're the second fast eddie we have here),
Welcome to the forum and glad you've joined us. Your old school cruiser sounds like an interesting project and you have chosen a good solid platform for it. There is no problem with using the 3 speed hub and coaster brake but many of us stress the importance of adding a brake to the front wheel. I can see your point about welding on a classic fork like that so if that is not an option then consider adding a 'V' brake to the rear. Another option is a disc or drum brake that can be adapted to the front wheel.
You'll probably run into some problems when mounting the front of the engine. Most of the cruiser style frames require a custom mount at that point unless you want to consider drilling a hole in the down tube to use the kit supplied mount. An option that I'm sure you, and many of us frown on. Keep us informed and feel free to ask if any questions come up during the build. Oh, and don't worry about backfires and being launched. It just doesn't happen.
Tom

Fast_Eddie

Feb 12, 2010
Kansas City, MO
thanx Tom! i have a v-brake adaptor plate waiting to be welded to the frame, v-brake style are my favorite. is it the curved down tube that requires the specific bracket you mentioned? im glad the 3 speed will work, that'll make things a bit better i think!
looks like there's good resources here for purchasing an motor, it'll be great !
fast eddie