Do you guys think this will work??

GoldenMotor.com

hick185

Oct 12, 2008
Tell City, Indiana
I've been riding around with a friction drive weedeater powered bike for a couple months now. Its a good set up for a newbie but personally I'm tired of having to adjust the tension of the drive wheel against the tire. I used an old skate board wheel as a drive wheel which works ok for the first few miles but when the tire warms up it slipped horribly.

So I'm looking to do something new. I planned on putting the motor in the frame and planned to use the pedal crank as a jackshaft so I could use my gears so I don't have to pedal. I was out in the garage tonight looking at the bike and got thinking. What if I took the rear tire and turned it around so the gears were on the left side of the bike. I realize that the gears would just spin because of the freewheel. I was wondering if the rear gears could be "fixed" so they would be solid with the tire. I know that this would mean the chain would spin while anytime the tire spins but I think(???) the auto clutch on the weedeater motor would keep the engine from revving while coasting. I plan on swapping the front gears to the left side also. I don't plan on using the front derailer but I would like to use the rear derailer. I don't know if it would shift properly but I think I might be able to make it work. By the way I am planning on eliminating the pedals all together. So do you all think this would work or has anyone else tried this? Any helpful ideas are welcome.