Will this work?

GoldenMotor.com

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
I have been thinking about this one a while, I think it will work, but I thought I should get some opinions before proceding. I am thinking I will use a slipper belt clutch on the V belt and add a spring loaded tensioner to the serpentine belt.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i never did a belt drive bike, but using the same size rim might be a bit of a problem. like cornering with a low tire might make some sparks.

also, when the belt's disengaged, depending on how loose it is, it might hit the ground.

the gear ratio with the bigger rim might be a problem, too.

these are all things i'm just mentioning from a design point of view. i'm sure someone else can offer some more insight and experience than me...

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
I Think it will work
I have most of the mechanicals worked out just working on asthetics now
I was thinking in frame tank

but, now I am thinking I will keep the open space and put the tank under the seat

Last edited:

LouieMCman

May 28, 2010
GA
I have a couple belt drives and Bairdco is right about the gear ratio, but you can compensate with gearing on the jack shaft and motor pulley. You should be OK after some testing, about 30 MPH will be top speed. Have fun.

wdbtchr

Jan 31, 2008
Juneau, Ak
Only problems I had were mud and snow getting packed in the belt. Otherwise it works great. Almost as dependable as friction drive.

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
It works!
Did some short test rides today with the bike as pictured here

Everything worked well, even with the clutch held on with a bunjee cord
spent a little time working on a proper clutch lever and cover

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
That is a real crazy looking bike, but as long as it is sturdy, I'm almost tempted to say that you should keep it the way it is :D Good work so far

streetstrip80

Oct 12, 2008
Littleton, CO
Got the bike mostly complete. It works well, but will need a few adjustments as I test it more.

The gearing turned out just right. Pulls from a start with no pedaling, and goes as fast as I want to go (Have not checked speed with GPS yet, but I am guessing it goes about 35 mph)

If it runs for a while with the drive disenguaged, the belt warms up and starts to pull a little bit. I may eventually put a centrifugal clutch on it. I built it with the slipper belt because the motor has a 7/8" shaft, and clutches that size are expensive.

I spent years collecting parts for this build, but the only thing I paid for was a$5 v-belt.

One thing I learned that could help others building belt drives is that Ford alternator pulleys have the same ID as the OD of common bicycle axle bearing cones (I think its 17mm). This facilitates making jackshafts out of common parts.