What sound should my engine be making on start up?

GoldenMotor.com

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I think that oil should be just fine. Land and sea..

Related to your idle issue... You have slack in your throttle cable. If you can put just a small spacer to effectively make your outer cable just a tad longer your issue will be solved! I cut a drywall mount anchor and cut it to be only about 1/8" long. That took up some space and increased the idle RPM's..

FractaL64

May 8, 2013
Canada
I think that oil should be just fine. Land and sea..

Related to your idle issue... You have slack in your throttle cable. If you can put just a small spacer to effectively make your outer cable just a tad longer your issue will be solved! I cut a drywall mount anchor and cut it to be only about 1/8" long. That took up some space and increased the idle RPM's..
What about adjusting the idle with the idle screw? I just realized I was unscrewing it thinking it'd increase the idle rpm haha. I read you need to open the throttle, and screw it in otherwise you can damage it.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Turn the screw out to lower idle, in to increase it.

Make sure your carb is all the way on the intake.. even a pinhole sized gap where it slides on to the intake can throw everything off.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yup, Screw in to increase idle. Check for TOO MUCH slack in your throttle cable, but that won't affect the Idle if the idle screw is set right.
I'm thinking more like an air leak in the intake somewhere. A cheap and easy way to check is to get a mustard or catsup bottle with a squeeze top. fill it with water and drizzle it on both sides of the intake fitting. If the engine dies (or slow's down,) a little quicker than it did before, then ya got a air leak. A drop or two of water won't hurt the engine, and it is an almost free air leak test. Just don't dump all the catsup down the drain or your lady will hit you with the empty bottle. Trust me on this, I still have nightmares.
I used marine oil for a while. Then I replaced my engine. It's not exactly the same as the regular stuff. It IS meant for water cooled engines. But use what you feel better with. I'm no expert on the subject.
fatdaddy.