electric bike speed

GoldenMotor.com

automation_guy

Apr 24, 2013
Boise, ID
Responding to Easy Rider.... and anyone else

I am new to the forum and have not posted pix on this site. If anyone wants to email my personal email at [email protected] will send photos. Paul appears to be the site Administrator so he can provide a "how to" attache photos I will be happy to share with all subscribers. Today the bike will be featured at an EV show at Hewlett Packard here in Boise, ID. Hope get pics of the bike next to Volts, Leafs, etc that I can send.

1) The display unit that I am using is a Cycle Analyst 2.23. manufactured by Grin Technologies Ltd. purchased through Golden Motor Canada, Ontario Canada. Cost is about $150 plus shipping. Grin Technologies does offer a version 3.0 but the version 2.23 does everything I want at a lower cost. Google keywords "Golden Motor Canada" or Grin website which is [email protected]

3) As a note - If you use a 20" bike rim the bike will not be as fast as a 700c (29") bike rim but will have more torque. A hub motors maximum speed (BLDC motor) is governed by two things. Higher voltage will result in higher speed. Larger diameter rim will result in higher speed as well. In my case I am using a 700c rim which is one of the largest rims you can buy and a 48 volt system which is the highest voltage that the Magic Pie 3 supports.

3) Regarding batteries - the best price I have found is through Freego power in China. Cost for a 12 ah - 48 volt LiFePO4 battery with 2 each - 2 amp chargers delivered to my door (i.e. inc freight - duties etc) in Boise was $510. This was a slide in style battery, slide in pan, keyswitch that double as tray lock and Anderson Power Pole connectors. They take Paypal. Delivery is approximately 3-4 weeks after Paypal clears. They have a full range of batteries. Email me and I will share the pro forma quote and contact info. I was very happy with that part of the transaction.

4) One of the really nice things I did on the bike was to install a DC DC converter that steps battery voltage down from 48 volts to 9 volts DC. I run my Cree XML T6, 3800 lumen headlight directly off of the battery. This headlight is brighter than an car headlight and only draw 1/4 amp at 9 volts. The additional system draw on my bike when the headlight is on is only an additional 4 watts. I only found one company that produces a 48 volt DC DC converter (max 10 watts). That is a Mean Well model NS10-48S9. Cost is about $20 and lead time is fairly long - about 45 days - but it works well with the Magic Pie 3 electronics. I can email photos of the installation. This was purchased through Jameco.com

Ok => Hope this helps

Automation_Guy

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am pretty new to e-bikes but I sure like them.

My personal ride for awhile was this Cadillac Fleetwood with a NuVinci CVT hub and Cyclone 960W controller and 1200W 36V motor but a pretty crappy 36V Lipo battery.

Range was OK to start with but it got down to about 2 miles so it got converted to gas, but it would easily do 35MPH and get there in a hurry with gears and like the rest of you it was all about comfort not top speed, I always have a gas shifter here if I feel the need for speed.

I put a front shock fork with V-brake and foam grips on and it was an absolute head turning dream to zip around on, especially when I could startle people with the 'ting ting' bell ziping by coasting in dead silence at 30MPH hehehe ;-}

Fun stuff but I playing with electric adult geared trikes now and they are all about range not speed. I have a topic in this sub forum about them but in short a huge battery for a 30+ mile range packing cargo that tops out around 25MPH which is almost to fast on a trike.

Note that I don't like to pedal, ever is possible as I get all the leg exercise I want and almost always ride with a given 'quick run' purpose and not to enjoy the scenery, 40 years in the desert in this general area and I have seen everything ;-}

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i use a 48v 15ah battery and getting around 27 miles per charge with no pedaling and mountaines rides. bike does 28mph on what little flat ground we have. on an island 28 miles by 8 miles that is plenty of range. if i need more ever i will just ad my 48v 10ah battery and get another 17 miles or so