Golden motor smart pie..e-bike number 2

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i wonder if a charger could be made using the front wheel. motor wheel rear and front wheel while spinning creating electricity

xenodius

May 23, 2012
Spokane, WA
all this talk about pie makes me hungry also i would like to use one of these to do a true hybrid bike where it charges while you ride
You could do regen braking if you have a hub motor, but realistically you aren't going to see a significant increase in mileage during typical use. I believe my previous figures came up with a 10% increase in range if you get to 30mph and stop with regen every 200 meters. Regen doesn't stop you very fast.

It's mostly just good for saving your brake pads.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i use regan breaking. not sure how much it charges the battery however it is nice to have the extra stopping helping. hardly engage the brakes ever except to come to a complete stop. its a great feature to have

vsavoldi

Jul 24, 2012
Monterey Bay California
Always remember it takes a greater amount of work to generate electricity than it takes from a battery to power a motor.

I don't know how to explain why a hybrid setup using a generator to power motors is not good but I will try.

As I see it a hybrid design would be..
A gas generator charging batteries with electric motors running off the batteries.

Unfortunately you will always get better mileage if you just use the gas motor to power the wheels. This eliminates the weight of both the electric motor and batteries and eliminates the lost power of wiring and storage.

Even in a perfect situation were the gas generator produces x amount of energy and your needs only use x amount of energy, there is a loss of energy on both the generation and motor side of the equation. Remember any heat generated is lost energy. This would mean that you would have to generate x+y energy to be able to use x for your work. y becomes lost in heat, unless your at absolute zero using super conductor materials.

another example would be.. Take a electric motor generator and plug it into its'self. It may actually run for a short while but with the loss it would stop running because it takes more power to create energy than the amount of energy you get out of creating it.

now my head hurtz....
Look up perpetual energy there have been 1000's of schemes but none of them work or we wouldn't need any other sources.

I do however like the Hybrid idea of a Gas motor and Electric motors for use at different times. Like where I live they do not allow gas motors running on the bike paths. I think I would setup something using electric for help starting or uphill or use on the bike path. and then use the gas motor for putting around on the streets with traffic (i.e. 20-30 mph) I suppose if you had some extra gas engine power your not using setting up a regen system could be beneficial. Another benefit would be that since you have batteries on-board you could have an electric starter on your engine!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
learned something new today. i got my 36v 12ah battery in for my wifes smart pie motor and decided to try it out on the pie trek with the magic pie motor. got it hooked up and carried the bike down the stairs got out side turned on the key and it said battery dead. carried the bike back up the stairs and checked the battery out with a voltmeter and 41.6 volts. hooked it up to bike and checked with throttle again full voltage. hooked up the smart pie and same thing. nothing. decided screw it i was mad then and went and took a dip in the ocean and while i was floating around i thought ummm i have them both set up for 48 volts. hooked the smart pie up to the computer and changed the setting to 36v and everything worked fine. all i can say is i am glad i got the usb cord for the motors.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Nah, you forgot what you already knew.

You know the controller shuts down when the battery gets to ~3v/cell. About 48 volts for a 48 volt battery.

What did you think would happen with 36 volts?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am slow mike lol. i wonder if i could hurt things running the 48volt battery set at 36v. i was hoping to use the extra battery if i decided to do a really long ride.i really dont expect my wife to ride a whole lot. i new about the 3 volt but i misunderstood and thought it was 3 volts total and not per cell

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, the controller would not shut down until your battery was close to being permanently damaged. Wouldn't hurt the controller, but you could ruin a very expensive battery.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i had to head to work and haven't had a chance to ride. probably be later next week before i give it a go. i have the magic pie on the trek and using the smart pie to build my wifes bike. soon as hers gets here i am going to give it a try with the 36v battery

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
today i tried the 36v lifepo4 battery with the smart pie and for my wife it is perfect! it did 18mph on flat ground. minimal pedal assist it does over 20 with ease. my neighbor tried it and without pedal assist it did 20mph. (he is considerably lighter then me) big pluses is how light it is. the smart pie motor is 15 lbs lighter then the magic pie and the 36v 12ah battery is a couple pounds lighter then the 48v 10ah battery. the smart pie free wheels like a regular wheel. pretty impressive. the lighter weight is nice carrying up the stairs that is for sure. my overall impression is they have a winner with the smart pie for what its designed for and that is Europe and woman and kids. me i like like my magic pie even with the extra weight because i am lazy and do not want to pedal and i like to go fast lol.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
That looks like a great kit.I have one of the old pre magic pie GM kits when they first came out with the "magic controller".regen braking is cool if your battery shuts off.Just hit the brakes a few times and it will come back on and you can put along 10mph for another mile or so.Use a torque arm!!!!get one from ampted bikes it is manditory

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
well i had the smart pie on the bike because i have been playing with the 36v motor and woke up this morning and was to lazy to put the magic pie back on the bike and grabbed the 48v battery and decided i would try it on the trip to work. up till this morning all my rides with the smart pie have been around town. the ride to work is over a couple mountain ranges so a real test for the motor. i am big time impressed. speed difference on the flats is around 4mph or less smart pie does 24mph easy on flat ground. down hill pretty equal and at times the smart pie is even faster. i think the reason for this is the smart pie free wheels so easy. the magic pie i give a spin with my hand and it does around 3 revelations. the smart pie with with the same spin does around 10 or more. their is next to zero drag on it. time to get to work was pretty equal maybe a few minutes difference. going home will be the big test. going over the mountains to get here is long not so steep climbs however the back side is fairly steep and a lot of curves. brakes a must. going home it is gonna be the exact opposite. steep climbs and long descents. here are the big differences in the motors magic pie wights 15 lbs more which is a lot when carrying bike up and down the stairs. magic pies regen braking is phenomenal. hardly ever use the real brakes. the smart pie the regen braking is very little. small motor not a lot of magnets. their is a big difference in the smoothness in the ride of the 2 motors. the smart pie beats the magic hands down again i think because of the weight difference. magic pie taking off has a whole lot more power of course however i can over come that with the smart pie by pedaling more on take off. i had decided that the magic pie was going to be my primary motor and was going to put it on the trek pure when it got here. jury out again on that. both are great motors i just have to decide which is best for my riding. i really like both motors

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
ride home was nice last night. it would go up the mountain if i wanted to do around 12mph so of course i pedal assisted it which is easy pedaling. with an electric bicycle doing pedal assist is basically like pedaling down hill to get more speed. i have decided to go with the smart pie. i usually ran the magic around 25mph and the smart will stay at 24mph no problem except up hills and then a little pedaling. i really like the ride with the smart pie and i especially like the 15 lbs wight loss i get with the smaller motor.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
not sure yet. i ordered another bicycle so will have 2 lol. also considering ordering a front smart pie and having a dual pie. 2 smart pies weigh 5 lbs less then the magic pie