gasket needs to be replaced

GoldenMotor.com

mbfire2003

Jun 30, 2010
myrtle beach ,sc
I have a gasket running down the center of the crank case that is bad . it is a brand new motor and i was wondering if there are key ways on the gears and how can i get the motor down to the center gasket with out a press? bicycle pic.jpg

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
How do you know the gasket is bad if it is "a brand new motor"? Have you run it yet? Are you saying the gasket is bad because of something you see or do you know the gasket is leaking?
Tom

mbfire2003

Jun 30, 2010
myrtle beach ,sc
I hooked the motor up and attempted to start it and there is hardly any compression. I sprayed some soapy water around the seal on the crank case and it bubbled a lot where the grease is pushing through when I tried starting it.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Contact your seller. The gasket can be replaced but as Venice said, it ain't fun. A new motor, depending on the seller, should be in warranty. Get a new one.
Tom

mbfire2003

Jun 30, 2010
myrtle beach ,sc
Lucky early bird motors. They wrote me back and this what they said. "u can tighten the bolts on the crank to seal it well. but most time. after break in period , the crank dirt will seal the small tinny space between the casting. if u want to seal well now. it has 5 bolts behind the clutch can seal
feel free to email us". Why should I have to work on a brand new motor is my question.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
In my experience it ain't a gonna magically seal it self. That part of things I can see not happening.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the area w/heavy grease is a separate area from the crank case and if air bubbles from the area where the heavy grease is being pushed out,then fuel mix is mixing with and thinning the gerase in the clutch shaft chamber,I don't under stand the low compression un-less the head gasket has issues too beacause you have pressure in the crankcase,,,,Is ,or does air bubble from the bottom and/or top of the jug?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Lucky early bird motors. They wrote me back and this what they said. "u can tighten the bolts on the crank to seal it well. but most time. after break in period , the crank dirt will seal the small tinny space between the casting. if u want to seal well now. it has 5 bolts behind the clutch can seal
feel free to email us". Why should I have to work on a brand new motor is my question.
You shouldn't have to make repairs to a new motor...The seller's advice doesn't hold water either. Gaskets don't heal themselves or get better with time. Push it. They owe you a replacement. You might have to swallow the shipping charge for a return so be prepared for that but its still better than nothing...or a trouble prone engine.
Tom

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
From luckyearlybird's ebay listings:

Exchange Policy
Quick Exchange
The exchange policy is to safe guard both buyers and seller in conditions such as manufacturer defects. We will be willing to do an exchange for you with no questions ask in 7days product arrival.
If they give you any more problems, just remind them of their policies.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have not had one weep yet? Or that I know of anyway? Got a pict? I seen about 7 of these China's up close and personal so far. Not saying I know what I am talking about.:confused: Learn something new everyday.:)

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Goat,

For me it's been the opposite...I've had a few that didn't ooze initially. Given a little time all of them have leaked at the case...some worse than others. The cases are extremely thin, especially the area that separates the crankcase from the countershaft.

I certainly can't go as far as saying that mbfire2003, definitely, doesn't have a genuine concern. It is, of course, possible that the gasket moved during assembly and there is, in fact, a void in the case seal.

mbfire2003,

These engines don't have a lot of compression.

If you can see the gasket all the way around the case; try tightening the case screws. They may in fact be loose, and a good tightening will likely resolve most of your problem.

If you do find any voids in the gasket, you will need to try and get the reseller to replace your engine, or split the case and replace the gasket. It was ridiculous for them to suggest that dirt will eventually seal the case.

It is just the nature of this hobby that you will have to work on the engine...sometimes even when they are new!

I have experienced these problems over the past 2 years:

Crank weights clocked wrong = baaaaaaddddd vibration.

The clutch gear bearings completely missing, or failing soon after the bike is built. On the ones that failed, the bearings look more like buckshot than bearings.

Loose fasteners...yes...case screws, cylinder head nuts...etc. finger tight!

Casting flash that partially blocks the intake.

Cracked carb floats...

Throttle housings that were poorly molded; causing the throttle to stick when returning to idle.

Petcocks that will barely pass fuel because the rubber seal bunches up against a poor die casting.

Chains that are twisted along the length.

Chains that are not the correct pitch.

Chains that are not of a consistent plate width throughout the length.

Bent sprockets due to a miss hit in the press.

Missing woodruff keys at the drive sprocket.

Fuel line that isn't fuel proof! ...It will shrink and harden soon after the build is finished.

And much...much more!

On a brighter note though...I have installed, messed with etc., about 100 of these and I would guesstimate that the above listed problems show up about 20% of the time. In other words...they're not all that bad considering the price.

Just know that it is likely you will need to check/do a few things in order to get the most enjoyment out of any kit.

Attachments

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Creative engerining...good post

First of all "luckyearlybird" is a POS company as far as their warranty. More can be said or read later. Check out my signature and take a search and look. You won't get a replacement so that's the end or that road. Janet, from LEB so much as told mt to stick a defective magnet up my az. Defective within 3 days of receiving. Built 5 bought first and LAST from LEB. I send links like these to Janet so she can see how I trash her company...there is no remorse with them...She needs to be in Washington, she'd make a good spin doctor by their standards.

Enough is enough, on with your problem. I have a 58 photo tutorial about tearing down one of these HT's. Check out the link in my signature. With a marginal mechanical ability and the correct tools it's not bad.

You don't need a paper gasket but if you want one there are a number of vendors that have them. You can put the case together the same way we did years ago on the ole Volkswagen beatles. Use permatex or Indian head sealer...the brush on type. Coat both case halfs.

I see you have the factory clutch cable set up. If you find it hard to pull the handle (on mine I can use a pinky finger) I have a solution. Drop me a line.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A leaking case gasket would inevitably be a vacuum leak?! I am forgetting the one I had where the leak started. The motor raced like mad when warmed up. I forgot about that one. Yeah these cases are a bit to wish for. Mine was at the output sprocket could not see the leak it was internal. Creative was the one that posted me a pict of where the leak was at.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
A leaking case gasket would inevitably be a vacuum leak?! I am forgetting the one I had where the leak started. The motor raced like mad when warmed up. I forgot about that one. Yeah these cases are a bit to wish for. Mine was at the output sprocket could not see the leak it was internal. Creative was the one that posted me a pict of where the leak was at.
"A leaking case gasket would inevitably be a vacuum leak?!"

Yes...for sure

On another note:

I'm sorry guys...for post #14...it was intended to make you think...I didn't mean to be the bull in the china shop!

We all have different experiences with these engines...

This is an eclectic hobby...If we don't, as an individual, deal with the imperfections of these kits...eventually the kits may not be avaliable.

Jim