Electrical gen and wheel set

GoldenMotor.com

Dawud

Aug 23, 2009
Prescott, Arizona
I had a very hairball thought. Is it even possible to have an engine driven alternator to power an electric hub? I am not too savvy about electrical motors or systems for it so I am throwing it out to the world.

Last edited:

lazieboy

Sep 5, 2009
Mid-west
I had a very hairball thought. Is it even possible to have an engine driven alternator to power an electric hub? I am not too savvy about electrical motors or systems for it so I am throwing it out to the world.
Are you talking about the wheel powered generators for lights. Or something that runs off the motor?
if it runs off motor would like more info.

Thanks

Dawud

Aug 23, 2009
Prescott, Arizona
Are you talking about the wheel powered generators for lights. Or something that runs off the motor?
if it runs off motor would like more info.

Thanks
The thought was to pull a trailer with a 2.5-6.5 hp motor turning a dc gen of a sort. running the feed to a small battery and then wired to the controller on bike. The connector would be like a molex for a computer.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
gas produces electric. electric produces go power. desiel trains work that way. huge diesel engine turns a generator to power the train.

Dawud

Aug 23, 2009
Prescott, Arizona
gas produces electric. electric produces go power. desiel trains work that way. huge diesel engine turns a generator to power the train.
Yes It may be inefficient in the way of transfer, but it will make the transfer a whole lot easier. Amtrak gave me a tour of one of their engines when I was young. Most people think that the diesel is geared somehow to the wheels, but that is not so. The Transmission to do that would weigh several hundred tonnes and would take up the space of an engine by its self. I still have a 10 hp diesel in the garage. I was going to dig build a hydraulically driven trailer for bicycle with it. The point is remote powering vs getting the chain lined up and other mechanical issues. Further the point you can take the engine gear up and down to find the ideal rpm speed for the best fuel consumption rate.
Anyone know how of an electric motor or generator that can be powered by smaller gasoline engines?

coln72

Mar 16, 2010
Australia
I dont have the details yet, but I am looking into a 50cc motor which has an inbuilt alternator. Will let you know when I know more.

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
Yes It may be inefficient in the way of transfer, but it will make the transfer a whole lot easier. Amtrak gave me a tour of one of their engines when I was young. Most people think that the diesel is geared somehow to the wheels, but that is not so. The Transmission to do that would weigh several hundred tonnes and would take up the space of an engine by its self. I still have a 10 hp diesel in the garage. I was going to dig build a hydraulically driven trailer for bicycle with it. The point is remote powering vs getting the chain lined up and other mechanical issues. Further the point you can take the engine gear up and down to find the ideal rpm speed for the best fuel consumption rate.
Anyone know how of an electric motor or generator that can be powered by smaller gasoline engines?
IIRC a locomotive manufacturer tried transission based diesels back in the day. proved inefficient, ( i would say by weight and whatnot. and things breaking, that it went with teh currrent form of transfer

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Well....I've seen that some guy in the down under has been working on an air motor,I wonder if there would be a way to capture the exhaust and filter it enough to run the air motor on a bike?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area

You mean like this?
I think I did a post on my gas/electric here a bit ago.
The difficulty is getting current to the field circuit of the alternator to get it to make power.
Don't know about hub motors, I used a 24v 450w motor and chain drive. The engine pulley is NOT the big one pictured here- one to one ratio now.

Here is what it looks like now (all stealthed out)- max speed 20 mph, max voltage out of the alternator is limited to about 35v by the shear load of driving the alternator by the HF79.
Uses more fuel than a normal bike because of inefficiency, but works for me and will be legal when the governor gets around to signing the new E-bike law. Note- the bike is real heavy at 113# but the rider is light.
Handles super with the 3 inch stretch frame.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO