This was a first!!

GoldenMotor.com

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Doood... these carbs only cost $10 & I have plenty of them laying around... no need for JB. ;)
Wow! You guys are relentless aren't you? I have lots of tubes, tools, and an air compressor laying around the shop too, but I have a patch kit, small tool set, and a small pump on my bike, just in case. What I don't have is a bunch of carbs or room to keep them on my bike. I did state that this was something I was going to put in MY bag, right? You guys do whatever you like.

This really started off with me as a ha ha joke, but I do think being prepared is important. Maybe it's the lazy, cheap, boy scout in me coming out.

2Door, even though we seem to disagree on JB, thanks for posting a link to the other stuff. I will probably get some of this and try it. FYI, I have driven my 4-wheel drive Chevy about 180 miles with JB stick holding the universal joint in on the rear end side of the drive shaft. I had another u-joint in my tool box when the other one locked up and broke, but I didn't have the straps to bolt in. I made straps with this stuff and drove about 50 mph all the way home. It was late on Christmas Eve, so before you ask, there were no part stores open and not many other options without really placing a burden my family. Now, I have extra straps in the spare u-joint box along with a tube of JB. I don't care how "dimestore" it is, it works.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I think we all can sympathize with the MacGyverisms needed to get us home and I commend the boy scout attitude lol I think the only problem is we are way, way, WAY too "familiar" with the "wonders" of JBWeld heh

It's become somewhat of a running joke actually and I think that's all ya ran afoul of TBH

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
with the problem Norm had, where the carb broke off at the tabs, i don't think JB would be able to do anything for it. it certainly wouldn't glue the tabs back on and hold in under 20 minutes so he could get home. it definitely wouldn't seal and attach a carb to a manifold without being able to slip on, and everytime i've used JB, it has never set-up in 20 minutes. without a flat, perfectly clean, perfectly smooth surface to adhere to, it's gonna puddle and drip.

the LAST thing i want is to get a big lump of JB sucked into my intake.

i'm not totally against the use of JB. in fact, my first gas tank's studs are still held on with it, no leaks, and it's probably stronger than the original shoddy welds. but, i cleaned it all thoroughly and let it sit for 24 hours. not exactly an emergency fix...

i think my A-Team method of ramming a piece of pvc pipe into both openings would work as an emergency fix, and it'd get you home.

hopefully, i'll never personally find out.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
with the problem Norm had, where the carb broke off at the tabs, i don't think JB would be able to do anything for it. it certainly wouldn't glue the tabs back on and hold in under 20 minutes so he could get home. it definitely wouldn't seal and attach a carb to a manifold without being able to slip on, and everytime i've used JB, it has never set-up in 20 minutes. without a flat, perfectly clean, perfectly smooth surface to adhere to, it's gonna puddle and drip.

the LAST thing i want is to get a big lump of JB sucked into my intake.

i'm not totally against the use of JB. in fact, my first gas tank's studs are still held on with it, no leaks, and it's probably stronger than the original shoddy welds. but, i cleaned it all thoroughly and let it sit for 24 hours. not exactly an emergency fix...

i think my A-Team method of ramming a piece of pvc pipe into both openings would work as an emergency fix, and it'd get you home.

hopefully, i'll never personally find out.
I promise this will be my last post concerning this topic!!

As I stated earlier, to each his own. Your A-Team method sounds like it would work great. However, what I highlighted proves that you have not used the stuff that I am talking about and linked to or any similar product. It doesn't puddle and drip and it most certainly is rock hard in about 20 minutes. Luckily, I don't use 2 strokes anyway and the carb mount is a little different on the 4 strokes. I will probably never have this happen but I will have some JB (or something similar) if one of our buddy MBers is stuck on the side of the road.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
Or you could ducktape it back on til you got home,no set time and wont come off.

BTW i used cheaper jb-weld type of product on a carb and it set up in minutes and is still rock hard, and i used it til the new one i ordered came in the mail.
Jb-weld bonds great to the carb, does not bond well to a chrome intake,but will bond to copper pipe and a cast grey intake.

Last edited:

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Or you could ducktape it back on til you got home,no set time and wont come off.

BTW i used cheaper jb-weld type of product on a carb and it set up in minutes and is still rock hard, and i used it til the new one i ordered came in the mail.
Jb-weld bonds great to the carb, does not bond well to a chrome intake,but will bond to copper pipe and a cast grey intake.
If I could post about this anymore, I would say, Thanks!!!!!:)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
As a roadside emergency repair as civlized mentioned I'd consider it, in fact I'm even willing to admit it wouldn't be such a bad thing to have in the 'Doom Kit'... the problem with that however is I simply wouldn't have any as I just won't own the stuff.

A good rule of thumb: If yer usin' JB, yer doing it wrong.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I did mention that it wouldn't be sucha bad thing in a "first aid kit" but I gotta say puttin' a band aid on yer bike isn't gonna help much I don't think lol

Simply put - I can think of no repair made to these things that wouldn't benefit from doing it properly, be it tapping, welding, or replacing. Using glue to "fix" an engine or component is a cheat plain and simple and I will not do it to my machines nor advise it to others. While we all must go through extreme lengths making roadside repairs and for that - anything goes...

But when I "fix" something I do so try to make it better, not worse.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I was actually thinking of using some zip ties that we always carry to hold it on the manifold just to get me home, but all the tools are on Jens bike, & she wasn't there... :(

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
You know, I am normally the guy that everybody makes fun of for having so much "just in case" crap crammed into my bags, but when something happens I am the first person they come to for help. In about 18 years of riding motorcycles and 4-wheeling in the woods I've only had 1 person give me so much crap about it that when fate decided put his ride down, I simply could not let myself help him. He may still be out in those woods!

I think it's funny that most of us debating are "elite members" or moderators. These titles seem to translate into "very opinionated", but that is a good thing. I like a healthy debate and appreciate you guys that backed me up with my thoughts of the "Oh S**t Kit"

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i carry smokes and a Verizon phone. for 3 bucks more a month i have roadside assistance, and they told me as long as my bike's registered, they'll "tow" it.

hope i never have to make that call, but it'll be priceless to see the tow truck driver's face when he shows up.

longhair

Mar 24, 2009
eagle rock
I was riding home friday night on the copper Schwinn.
Everthing was fine, the bike was running strong then all of a sudden the bike lost all power...
This is what I found to be the problem!!! :eek:
Luckily, I was only 5 blocks from home!

I got a better story Bro, We built a bike for this cat and his Mother-in-law took a hammer and broke of the carb at exactly the same spot as yours broke off. Seriously! Hmmmm, now that's not what happened to you is it........................:-||

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
i carry smokes and a Verizon phone. for 3 bucks more a month i have roadside assistance, and they told me as long as my bike's registered, they'll "tow" it.

hope i never have to make that call, but it'll be priceless to see the tow truck driver's face when he shows up.
laff I would love to see that too!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I want civlized's cell phone number...Hopefully he won't hold any grudges and will come to my aid some day. Even if he brings JB...if it gets me home, so be it. Maybe I'll return the favor and build him a chain tensioner that will never come loose. :)
Tom

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I want civlized's cell phone number...Hopefully he won't hold any grudges and will come to my aid some day. Even if he brings JB...if it gets me home, so be it. Maybe I'll return the favor and build him a chain tensioner that will never come loose. :)
Tom
No grudges!;) I'd be glad to help any of you guys whenever I could, I'm sure ya'll are the same way.