Almost Ordered the Wrong MP3

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
The Golden Motor website has a dropdown menu for cassettes, ie... 6, 7, and no cassette.

I assumed since I have a coaster brake on my Onyx Genisis that I needed to order a MP3 with no cassette. Something told me to contact Golden Motor to double check. Good thing I did because Phil (Golden Motor) told me that it will not work on the rear wheel with a coaster brake, but would work on the front wheel which is not what I want.

Now I'm confused again..I've notiiced that the sample bikes on Golden Motor's web site are mountain bikes. Most Mtn bikes are 21 speeds right? But the cassettes that are offerred are 6 & 7. Haven't seen any mtn bikes with only 6 & 7 speeds. A I limited to purchasing a bike with 6 or 7 speeds?

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
mountain bikes come all the way up to 28 speed now. lots of them are still available in 21 which is is a 7 speed rear sprocket like you can get for magic pie, the 21 speed comes from the 3 chain rings in the front so you have 21 different speeds to choose from

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
just dont try and put it on one of the new 11 speeds(not joking,for real).Paul,they passed you up allready and are into 30 speeds and now the new 11 speed cassettes are coming out.(google it)

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Its a shame they only make the rear motors for 135mm hub spacing. So many cool bikes with the 110 mm spacing that would look good with electric drive.