Max's Phat Briggs Bike Build

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Had a great turnout today, 15 motorized bikes and Whizzers. Max's bike was a huge hit, especially his motor, gas tank and kickstand. A bunch of the kids took off on a ride, so I'm waiting for a report on how the bike holds up for distance.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Man, MSRFAN. I wish we had a "like" button. I'm sounding like a broken record but Purty Work!

I've been thinking about what you said about "hoping kids remember what we teach them"

Just my thunk. Your taking the time to show this young man your arts. Any one can turn a wrench sort of deal. It's the more criticle thinking. Dxing etc. is an even bigger gift your sharing. Sort of "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

My thinking is that your gift is bigger than just helping someone to build a MB. (Having a health thing and been all philosophical and mushy, lately, lol)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunno if you have seen this but please take advantage. Our new host is pretty awesome and it's a freebee. Kinda like what your doing here and when you sent me your original "How-To" Brillient, BTW! (an' ty again)

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=654090

.flg.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Dan. These kids I'm working with are pretty privileged at home and wouldn't even consider the odd jobs we used to do as a youngster, like trash cleanup, pulling weeds, digging holes and moving dirt. Maybe if it was fun and paid $100. Then they would have to have their buddies to help. In other words, they're not going to miss any meals being lazy or just doing fun stuff. So somewhere along the line, I'm going to try to teach some of them how to work. I'm kind of an efficiency freak and like for things to go smoothly and by the numbers. I like having enough tools to do a job and ergonomically placed for quick execution. When they get out in the world, if they know about getting a job done, they'll be way ahead of the game.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I've got a few 3hp Briggs I.C. motors and have saved one for Max's bike. We'll get it cleaned up, do all the porting and valve job. Then he can take a file and some sand paper to the outside of it and make it look a lot cleaner. Reshape the head so it resembles the cylinder. Some paint, new rings, gaskets and seals, and it will be ready when he decides to tear it all down for final painting and assembly. these motors have a cast iron bore, ball bearing PTO side cover, and exhaust valve rotator. Should last a long time.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Exactly! And very Cool!

I'm sure you've heard of it, "Lean Manufacturing? Sort of a marshal arts approach to working. Dumb but common sense stuff like having the broom next to the dust pan and stowed next to where ya clean up at the end of the day.

They asked the Japanese gentleman, whose name escapes me, how he came up with it. He laughed and said to the American journalist who was inter viewing him and replied that it was based on Henry Ford's assembly line and American supermarkets.

The 8 month machinists certificate course I took, took off weeks of the blueprint course and tacked the time on that.

But such an amazing and simple concept.. It works so well.

Anyway, didn't mean to go off on a tangent on your thread.

.flg.
Thanks Dan. These kids I'm working with are pretty privileged at home and wouldn't even consider the odd jobs we used to do as a youngster, like trash cleanup, pulling weeds, digging holes and moving dirt. Maybe if it was fun and paid $100. Then they would have to have their buddies to help. In other words, they're not going to miss any meals being lazy or just doing fun stuff. So somewhere along the line, I'm going to try to teach some of them how to work. I'm kind of an efficiency freak and like for things to go smoothly and by the numbers. I like having enough tools to do a job and ergonomically placed for quick execution. When they get out in the world, if they know about getting a job done, they'll be way ahead of the game.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
We finally got paint on the bike and Max is real happy with the result.

Max decided to keep the original motor instead of replacing it with the I C Briggs.

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Hey DRK, I love the action of the clutch. Slips real smooth and engages nice and hard when needed. It may wear out sooner than you want depending on drive ratios and abuse, but I totally recommend them. Danny at 3D will work with you if you have questions about setup, sprocket choices or whatever you need. The modifications I made really helped to get a better feel and feedback from the clutch. Besides, it's the only quality one available and is top notch.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
Nice looking rig. We were out today and I spotted an old mini bike at a yard sale and I thought of this bike. At $100 I was tempted to "adopt" it, but we were in my wife's car, decided I did not need it..

DRK

Apr 1, 2017
Illinois
Thanks msrfan. Was looking for some honest imput from someone that has actually used one on a Briggs build. Thanks again.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
No problem. I would suggest going with the larger 1/2'' pitch sprocket (428 chain). The bearing is more outboard than on the #35 3/8'' pitch sprocket and seems more able to hold alignment.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
A couple of days ago Max texted me that he'd had an accident. A lady pulled in front of him and he couldn't avoid hitting her car and ended up on top. He's fine with some leg bruises and the bike had some broken spokes, fuel valve and pedal crank. Hope to get it repaired this week.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks MT. He's doing fine and we're picking the bike up in Costa Mesa in the next day or so and you know I'll take care of the repairs he can't handle.