Indian Tadpole

GoldenMotor.com

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
For years now I've kept multiple builds/projects going at the same time cars, trucks, motorcycles and sometimes just motors or sheet metal. When I hit a time delaying vendor or mental roadblock I have something entertaining to occupy myself with. I recently read a post that cited a 5 week powder coating estimate (which was too slow in my opinion) and eventually turned into a 15 week wait for a fuel tank and two small fenders. One of our town doctors holds the record for stupid patience with a vendor when the Doc sold his primo restored (he'd owned since high school) 1969 GTO recently, mainly because a local machine shop held his engine for 10 years waiting to rebuild it & had been prepaid for the work, but never even started the work. The Goat's new owner had the engine within a week of the title transfer after he involved the county Sheriff's office.

Mental roadblock are mainly age related in my case.

I'm hoping since SB's tri car project is caught up and your in the final push to completion of your own tadpole that the electric will keep mind and hands both happily occupied. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
One of the main things with the Indian tri car is to get it all together and running so all I have to do is put the clutch in place and bolt the seat on. I think the garden harvest is about over for the year so that will free up some time. I spent 3 years after I got out of school learning to be a chef trained in running a kitchen. As soon as they handed me the papers I was on the other side of the door on the way out before it even began to close. My sister in law loves the help in the kitchen and I enjoy doing it.

The next tri car will be from the fiendishly tormented, twisted mind of Fasteddy and not a close copy of something that exists or ever existed. It will be built with simplicity and just maybe a bit of a steam punk flair to it. Lots of copper, brass and mahogany involved.

I was looking around the internet at wicker sidecars last evening and I came across a photo of my Monark and the sidecar on Pinterest and the list of sites that had copied it and passed it on was amazing.

The wicker tri car will indeed keep me occupied Rick. The neighbourhood isn't safe if I'm not fully occupied even if it's just dreaming up the next project.

Steve.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
You get an atta boy for grit and the annual "Abby Normal" description award for your clever use of " fiendishly tormented, twisted mind" & your 1 st. place prize is an all expense paid vacation to the pristine seclusion at the Norman Bates Motel annex of the Hotel California resort and spa located in beautiful Rio Linda, Ca. Enjoy!! Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, as me old dad was heard to say on occasion "That kids got an 8 cylinder car and a 4 cylinder brain." I'm packing my bag at this very moment to make the trip. I could use the vacation.

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So good to hear of the new tri-car project. I remember the day we picked up that Monark frame along with several other old classics including the Hiawatha whose art deco fenders became part of my own tri-car build and the reason for it's name. What a haul that was and for free, too! Yes, following your own vision is both more freeing and more fun than trying to make a "reasonable facsimile". It will be a great bike and if I know you the wicker seat will be a success even if it takes more than one try at it before you're satisfied. Summer bike camp for 2018 is looking up!
SB

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
SB both tri-cars are going to be fantastic. I kinda' got "reasonable facsimile" out of the way on my last 3 builds, Simplex, HD & Schwinn & the next one's just going to be me being me using others ideas to build one my way with no branding at all... a 1930's like something, maybe, but with a sidecar.

I can't wait to see what Steve's electric will look like. Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Indeed that was a haul. I never saw so many bicycle in on place at one time in my life. Talk about a kid in a candy store. The wicker/rattan seat will indeed be a challenge but a fun one.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rick, it will be fun to do this bike. Not restrictions as to what I can do to it since it doesn't have to look like something already built. Started sizing things up against the Indian tri car and the front axle is 1" longer that the one I built which is by chance since I built mine before the others turned up.

I'll get more done tomorrow to see just what I have to pull it together.

Steve.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Indeed it will be fun. I especially like this new beginnings part of each build, which I admit in my case can go on for years or more commonly months before doing much actual fabrication or even collecting specific parts. The design parameters change & the goal becomes a moving target which is difficult to hit & when one does hit the mark it sometimes has to be patched up before another shot can be loosed it's way. I've read many of my past build posts & had to laugh at myself for many of my spastic comments on a builds direction & goals, I remember an old guy once told me that, "although he'd observed that I was often wrong. I was seldom in doubt" & now that I'm the Old Guy I'm certain that's still an accurate assessment of my personality. Of course I now laugh at myself, and with others, and make my corrections along the way. As I stated earlier it's mostly fun if you just go with it & a free style project is an opportunity to buy a ticket to the Circus Bike's "fun house" maze of mirrors, where what you think you see is only loosely connected with reality!

Rick C.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I've planned the other tri car build for some time. I couldn't do much else given my health but now that seems behind me I'm pressing on. Funny that the old guy saw that in you Rick. My English grandmother used to say I was Bloody Minded. In English speak she meant that I stuck with it no matter how wrong it or I were. Bull Headed in our terminology. That doesn't always pay but it certainly always helps.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I went on a journey of discovery today. I cleaned off the work bench. There were more things there that I had no idea what they were than enough. Eventually I recognized most of the items. Brought the Monark frame in and sized it up against the frame on the tri car and it was great. A bit longer in the seat and chain stays than the tri car frame. I may extend the seat frame and front axle out a few inches to give the frame a longer wheel base. Maybe another 6" or so just to give everything a bit more room.

When I got the frame out of the plastic bag it was in I found that there were 3 fenders in there as well. Forgot all about them. I didn't pull them out but I recall that I bought a complete set and there was a rear fender left over from the build and if that is the case I'll convert the second rear fender to a second front fender. These fenders are unique to Monark Super DeLuxe frames since they are very deep and not shallow like most fenders.

I start a new thread when I start building the second tri car so the two don't run together.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Boy and i have been looking forever for some of them fenders! LOL. But have substitutes now. Just be glad you don't have to snoop for them, should be interesting build.................Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Curt, I seemed to have hit the right time to buy parts for the Monark. The economy was just starting to tank and people were off loading what they had. I just looked on eBay for Monark parts for the first time in years since you mentioned them and I did find a heck of a deal on what looks like the proper deep fenders for a Monark Super DeLuxe. If I needed them I'd buy them for this price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-Mona...575054?hash=item1ecde8580e:g:L-oAAOSwuLZY2o75

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
That's a good deal, but have what i need now. The good old stuff is getting hard to come by now, i to have gotten good deals for a fresh listing..............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Talked to Brian who is building the clutch for the tri car and he'll be at it next Tues. I haven't pushed it as hard as I could and when I called Monday he was getting ready to go to the Hersey Swap Meet to sell. Acres of old tin and vintage car and motorcycle parts.

Haven't been there in 50 years. It would be interesting to see what is there today other than high prices.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's worse that I thought. I looked at this years ad and the first thing I saw was that they had handicapped scooter rentals available and all the photos had nothing but old people standing around. It's over Jim! Turn out the lights.

Steve.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Wait, I got an idea from that. I always wondered about using one of those (for lack of better words) suicide handles on the steering wheels. I forget, is it a round steering wheel on these three wheel thigamajigs?

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Measure Twice,

We called them Suicide Knobs and they were illegal where I lived because you were supposed to have both hands on the steering wheel. Some of the guys would leave it loose enough to so they could turn it over to the underside of the wheel and cover it with their hand if a cop looked too hard.

Steve.