Anyone motorize a 3 wheel bike....

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I notice brand new Schwinn 3 wheelers with a big happy basket in the rear, for under $200....I know I would look happy riding the thing, but technically it would be a hoot to put a suped up engine on the back....maybe 6.5 HP 4 stroke Honda.....or whatever....

Just curious if anyone has seen such a thing? Maybe there are photos out there.

Big Joe

Jan 6, 2008
Decatur Al
I have a Worksman PAV3 3CB. The fastest I could pedal was 14 mph according to police radar sign. This is fast enough for me on a trike. A trike is very easy to p over..

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
isn't that the truth pablo. i see a bike on tv, store or just riding down the street my first thing i do is picture it with a bicycle motor (^)

invader-zim

May 9, 2008
I notice brand new Schwinn 3 wheelers with a big happy basket in the rear, for under $200....I know I would look happy riding the thing, but technically it would be a hoot to put a suped up engine on the back....maybe 6.5 HP 4 stroke Honda.....or whatever....

you could use a internal hub motor
Revo Power - Motorized Replacement Bike Wheel
they sell theme here^
or you could do this

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona

I've got this pic. I have no ideal where I saw it, but I must have liked it because I saved it. It might be from Roland but not sure.

I do know Roland has conversion kit's to turn any two-wheel into 3-wheel's

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yes, that pic is from Spooky. Yeah you can get a trike for that price, but then you still have to get the motor. If you already have a kit, and a bike I dont think it's a bad price. One thing I have learned is, if someone is selling something, you can usually find it cheaper somewhere else and 90% of the time it's where they get it from anyway. But dont tell Roland I said that.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I'm building a Schwinn Meridian three wheeler, with a Honda GXH-50 motor should be a hoot. I'm having trouble getting a dealer for the motor. The TSC people looked at me like I need a drug test, or something.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I know what bike you're talking about.
Here's mine. A worksman Trike with 20 inch wheels.
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/lfs-trike-powered-titan-front-wheel-4046.html
The advantages to having it front wheel drive is that there's no pedal chain to worry about here so it doesn't matter which side your drive sprocket on your wheel is on and you can keep your basket in back. I love my Titan setup and you can rather easily mount a 44 tooth spoke sprocket up front and your good to go.
On mine I adapted a 5 speed hub so I have perfect sprocket alignment and a freewheel. Then I changed the jackshaft sprocket from the stock 10 tooth to a 12 tooth and that made my gearing happen considering my drive sprocket is a 28 tooth but the 20 inch wheel makes up for it.
In about a month I'm gonna be fishing for a 3 speed wheel. Then gear up the jackshaft sprocket so it would gear nice with the wheel's stock 20 tooth sprocket.
If you have a welder and want to go even cheaper get a China girl and adapt a front rack for it. Drive the chain straight down to a 44 tooth spoke sprocket.
Yea,for a bike like that,Front wheel drive in my opinion is the way to go.