CA. Law Info

GoldenMotor.com

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
vja4him, Get the bike put together first. You may have to take it to the DMV before they give you a plate since there is no serial number or cc stamped on the motor. You can apply for the M2 liscense or go for the M1 if you want to ride at night. If you take a class on motorcycle safety with the CHP, you do not need to take the actual riding test. You just have to take the written. And if you want to get insured, it will save you some money as well.
What would insurance cost for a motorized bicycle (electric motor, if it makes any difference?)? Or, could I just add my bicycle to my auto insurance? How much extra would it cost each month?

I will need to ride at dark, especially in the morning, now that it's not getting light until late ...

vja4Him

Nov 6, 2008
California
Call your locat CHP office and ask about taking a motorcycle safety course and schedule one. Once completed, you get a DL 389 form that you take to the DMV. If you are under the age of 21 it is a mandatory course. Over 21 and you can go with out the driving test. Attached is where the info is on the Ca DMV site.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

And here is the site for the Motorcycle Safety Course.

Welcome to the California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP) Website .....................................................................

Hope this helps.

By the way, sarting January 1st, 2009, it will be illegal and punishable by up to a $100 fine for smoking in a vehicle with a minor.

Driver license for 2008
That's a good smoking law!! We need the protection for others who don't smoke, and especially children!

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
What would insurance cost for a motorized bicycle (electric motor, if it makes any difference?)? Or, could I just add my bicycle to my auto insurance? How much extra would it cost each month?

I will need to ride at dark, especially in the morning, now that it's not getting light until late ...
You would have to ask your provider if they even cover motorized bikes. Buit if you get amotorcycle rider policy that covers you on any motorcycle, I think it would apply then. It does not apply when you cover the vehicle itself.

Ron-P

Jan 21, 2009
Surf City, CA
I've been doing some digging on the DMV's website but maybe not enough yet, I'm still unclear on what we can and cannot do on streets with these bikes or what is considered legal or illegal.

I did find this Reg230 form...

http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg230.pdf

...which I may or may not do, as of now. I don't have any info on my engine, there's no markings on it what-so-ever so the entire top portion I cannot fill out.

At this point I am just going to ride until I do get pulled over and then go from there. The laws for motorized bicycles are very unclear from what I am finding out.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I've been doing some digging on the DMV's website but maybe not enough yet, I'm still unclear on what we can and cannot do on streets with these bikes or what is considered legal or illegal.

...which I may or may not do, as of now. I don't have any info on my engine, there's no markings on it what-so-ever so the entire top portion I cannot fill out.

At this point I am just going to ride until I do get pulled over and then go from there. The laws for motorized bicycles are very unclear from what I am finding out.
When you do ride, make sure you have a helmet. It increases the likelyhood of you getting pulled over. Most police officers give me a quick look, but htey keep going.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca

I just got my plate from the dmv, I just used my bikes serial number for the vin "was only 10 characters instead of the 17 for a vin" and listed the bikes make "XYZ for mine" and had no problem getting my plate. It is $19 dollars for the plate now, but sent in $18 "I found out after wards, but they still sent it to me. I figure they just want their money and really don't care too much about the details.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
I just got my plate from the dmv, I just used my bikes serial number for the vin "was only 10 characters instead of the 17 for a vin" and listed the bikes make "XYZ for mine" and had no problem getting my plate. It is $19 dollars for the plate now, but sent in $18 "I found out after wards, but they still sent it to me. I figure they just want their money and really don't care too much about the details.
Shadeslay,
Now that you're registered, you will also need an M2 license. Although DMV is not very selective, your local law enforcement might be. The best practices are to wear a a helmet; do not ride your motorbike on the sidewalk, bicycle lane not attached to the road, or a trail (even though if the motor is not engaged); obey the speed limit; and stop at all stop signs. Having a motor on your bike qualifies it to be both a motorized vehicle and a bicycle. Therefor, you are subject to both laws. Yes, DMV wants your money.....but so does the PD or Sheriff's Dept.

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Shadeslay,
Now that you're registered, you will also need an M2 license. Although DMV is not very selective, your local law enforcement might be. The best practices are to wear a a helmet; do not ride your motorbike on the sidewalk, bicycle lane not attached to the road, or a trail (even though if the motor is not engaged); obey the speed limit; and stop at all stop signs. Having a motor on your bike qualifies it to be both a motorized vehicle and a bicycle. Therefor, you are subject to both laws. Yes, DMV wants your money.....but so does the PD or Sheriff's Dept.

Yep finally just got around to that today, barely passed the written "missed 4". So I have my permit, just got my turn signal/stop light today. It's a shame I can't ride it right now, dang spark plug cap stripped out "dang china parts" I did want to upgrade that anyway. So here I am totally legal and can't ride because of a $2 part. :-||

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
Just take some pliers and squish it in a bit if your kit has the rubber spark plug boot.
It works great.

I missed 3 on my M2 test.....
Which signals did you get?
My china signal kit is hilarious, it has like 8 different horn sounds,
one more annoying that the next.

Last edited:

capturedbyrobots

Jul 24, 2008
Does your spark plug wire unscrew from the coil?
A lot of those assemblies unscrew so you can replace the whole thing.
You can also just get a replacement rubber boot at any auto parts store.
I've done it,
and it was very easy.

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
hey, what do you write for the engine number? im definatly going to try this....

Shadeslay

Feb 25, 2009
Arroyo Grande, Ca
Engine number I just wrote what ever was on the engine. Mine had one stamped into the motor. I almost used the numbers on the paper placed on the engine, but then I noticed the stamp.

It was 5 numbers stamped on the front motor mount.

Update: already have the plug/boot and wire replaced, got one from SBP. The turn signal, the wire running to the brake light sensor is way too flimsy. So I had take that apart "comes apart easily, snaps off" and solder some thicker wire onto it. Works like a champ now, actually works better. I didn't take apart the actual brake light and just spliced the wires together, less vibration near the seat. So I'm hoping that holds up, if not I'll solder the thicker wire to the actual brake light. That thin wire kept shearing off from vibration, being on the brake cable.

Last edited:

antimistic

May 18, 2009
california
Here is the full section of 24015 C.V.C. it is confusing a bit about the laws in Cali regarding motorized bicycles.

(a) Motorized bicycles shall comply with those federal motor
vehicle safety standards established under the National Traffic and
Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C., Sec. 1381, et seq.)
which are applicable to a motor-driven cycle, as that term is defined
in such federal standards. Such standards include, but are not
limited to, provisions requiring a headlamp, taillamp, stoplamp, side
and rear reflex reflectors, and adequate brakes.
(b) In addition to equipment required in subdivision (a), all
motorized bicycles operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a
mirror as required in subdivision (a) of Section 26709, a horn as
required in Section 27000, and an adequate muffler as required in
subdivision (a) of Section 27150.
(c) Except as provided in subdivisions (a) and (b), none of the
provisions of this chapter relating to motorcycles and motor-driven
cycles, as defined in this code, shall apply to a motorized bicycle.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
List of Violations of the Vehicle Code

CA Motorcycle Handbook 2009

There are a lot of technicalities that is not clearly defined for motorized bicycles in California. The 2 links are for the vehicle code violations that you could be cited for. The other is the Motorcycle Handbook. Review them, and ride responsively.

As far as I know, these motors are not legal in California unless they have the EPA certification sticker on them. It isn't a vehicle code but an environmental code that I have not been able to locate to verify. But some vendors do have a disclaimer on their website regarding shipping to California.

RedeyeRaab

Aug 3, 2009
Santa Cruz
I would say this says it all!
(3) A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

Keep reading!

Motorized Bicycle Electric Motor: Safety and Equipment Requirements

24016. (a) A motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 shall meet the following criteria:

(1) Comply with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.) or the requirements adopted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (49 C.F.R. 571.1, et seq.) in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. Sec. 1381, et seq.) for motor driven cycles.

(2) Operate in a manner so that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or operate in a manner such that the motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism that, when released, will cause the electric motor to disengage or cease to function.
(b) All of the following apply to a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406:

(1) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle unless the person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

(2) A person operating a motorized bicycle is subject to Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

(3) A person operating a motorized bicycle is not subject to the provisions of this code relating to financial responsibility, driver's licenses, registration, and license plate requirements, and a motorized bicycle is not a motor vehicle.

(4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.

(5) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle shall certify that it complies with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.).
(c) No person shall tamper with or modify a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 so as to increase the speed capability of the bicycle.
Added Sec. 3, Ch. 804, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
I would say this says it all!

Keep reading!

Motorized Bicycle Electric Motor: Safety and Equipment Requirements

24016. (a) A motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 shall meet the following criteria:

(1) Comply with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.) or the requirements adopted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (49 C.F.R. 571.1, et seq.) in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. Sec. 1381, et seq.) for motor driven cycles.

(2) Operate in a manner so that the electric motor is disengaged or ceases to function when the brakes are applied, or operate in a manner such that the motor is engaged through a switch or mechanism that, when released, will cause the electric motor to disengage or cease to function.
(b) All of the following apply to a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406:

(1) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle unless the person is wearing a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet that meets the standards described in Section 21212.

(2) A person operating a motorized bicycle is subject to Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

(4) A motorized bicycle shall only be operated by a person 16 years of age or older.

(5) Every manufacturer of a motorized bicycle shall certify that it complies with the equipment and manufacturing requirements for bicycles adopted by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (16 C.F.R. 1512.1, et seq.).
(c) No person shall tamper with or modify a motorized bicycle described in subdivision (b) of Section 406 so as to increase the speed capability of the bicycle.
Added Sec. 3, Ch. 804, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996.
This information applies to subdivision (b) of section 406 which covers electric motorized bicycles only. Gas powered motorized bicycles as covered in subdivision (a) of section 406 have different requirements.