Huffy cranbrook bigger tires?

GoldenMotor.com

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
hello all i do not own a crankbrook yet but i was wondering what the max size tires you could install on one of them?

i will be going 50-60 and would like a beefy/wider tire at higher speeds like that.

if you are familuar with Freds twin plug head huffy cranbrook im looking for the same tires he has.

i appriciate any info!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
hello all i do not own a crankbrook yet but i was wondering what the max size tires you could install on one of them?

i will be going 50-60 and would like a beefy/wider tire at higher speeds like that.

if you are familuar with Freds twin plug head huffy cranbrook im looking for the same tires he has.

i appriciate any info!
I believe Fred is running Kenda Flames and they are 3" wide tires, he has his engine mounted so that it is offset to one side to help with clearance also, I'm gonna say 2'' - 2.5'' tires would be the max possibly and that is if you use a clam shell hub adapter so you can bring the sprocket out a tad more than what is typical with the rag joint coupler set up, if your rim width is about 1''-1 1/8'' you can get by OK with 2.125 x 26'' tires ok I know because I've done that, but if you run the wide heavy duty rims that set up wit a rag joint may not work to well, I say you will probably be good with up to a 2.5'' tire if you use a hub adapter for the sprocket.... I know there are others on here who have more experience with all this than I do, but I can only speak from what I have tried, I normally use 26 x 1.95 tires on my bikes since they work so well and the fastest one of my bikes has ever seen was 48mph and I typically cruise at low 40's onn that bike and low to mid 30's on my other 3 bikes.

Map
.wee.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I gotta agree with the Aleman.

Going that fast on a Cranbrook is just begging for trouble.

Please do reconsider. Cause, really, that's motorcycle territory.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I agree that 50-60 mph on an inexspensive bike is toying with potwntial big trouble, I'd have better suspension forks and gussets at every point where one tube was welded to another, I have a huffy with a lot of milea on it and it has been a really solid bike, but its a low 30-34mph cruiser and at some point I plan to sand blast the frame and weld in some braces and I have a set of suspension forks for it, a hars quick shock on neck of that frame at high speeds could be a seriouse face plant crash......ouch!

Im curiouse about what engine you have that will be pushing he Cranny 50-60 mph....????

Low to mid 40's is plenty fast for me on a bicyle, I've seen 48mph and that was getting to the point where I felt I really didnt want to go any faster on the bicycle....if I want to safely go fast I just get on my 1584cc fuel injected Harley Davidson.... I can go from zero to 100 mph before you have time to spit and do it fairly safely..... pushing.a bicycle to 50+ mph is a risk and on a cheaper made bike its a really big risk in my opinion so please be careful bro.....

Map
.wee.

mrfubs

Jun 13, 2013
michigan
Well i will be making a case reed engine with a trued and balanced crank using a parmakit 75cc 7 port cylinder. Hoca piston with motobecane piston rings. Either a mikuni or dellorto carb. Probably use a hd lightning ignition and maybe one of freds heads. I am currently using a puch hi comp head and works awesome, i might do the twin plug head. 36 or 32t sprocket

My current bike is a kent la jolla converted to suspension fork with 203mm rotor and hydraulic brakes and goes 48 with a 36 t sprocket.

I will be re inforcing the cranbrook frame and using quality bearings along with hydraulic front and rear brakes and a suspension fork