Mill/Lathe

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Welcome to the hobby! Leave your wallet at the door, and we'll get started. ;)

The Chaski machinist forum has a section specifically for 3-in-1 machines-
The Home Machinist! - Index page

Also in case you didn't already know, many full-size accessories will not fit on benchtop machines. Littlemachineshop is one online seller that specializes in the smaller machines and parts and accessories for them-
LittleMachineShop.com - tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists

For general machine-tool supplies, I usually look around at Enco first- www.use-enco.com (site is down at the moment for me)
Shars is another place that sells a lot of China stuff- shars.com (Shars also sells some items even cheaper on eBay under the seller name discount_machine )

I have a mill and lathe, separate benchtop machines from Grizzly. Great fun but you can sink a lot of money into accessories, even if you stick to buying the cheapo China-made stuff. It's nothing to spend $100 for a handful of mill bits, taps, tool blanks or some odd measuring doohickey.
Cool! thanks for the links. (all the links posted as well!)

Really is exciting. Just learning the possibilities!

I have been slow responding to posts, please forgive me. Thread went faster then I can absorb, snork.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
does that mill come with an assortment of collet's. and what is the taper. M8 is probably the most common for small mills. ez to find used stuff for the M8. like was said already it's the accessaries to make it do what you want that rack up the dough.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
It's a slippery slope you've embarked on. First it's a mill/lathe then the accessories then you start looking at a used Bridgeport and a WWll era lathe with ALL the attachments.
Then you catch yourself watching youtube videos of peoples one-car space machine shops.

"But, hunny, I can leave my car on the street..."

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I have a 24x40 garage hasen't had a car in it for 30years. Because I live in town with no place to hide the goodies.

My wife don't drive I have to clean the snow off.
Northerntool.com might have check it out

Last edited:

jburr36

Jul 17, 2008
Idaho
I've been a home machinist as a hobby for quite a while. A couple of other tools to keep close by is a digital caliper and a bench grinder and of course a PC with an internet connection to search for help when questions arise. That last one really helped me when learning how to properly cut threads and make/sharpen custom cutters like internal thread cutters.

1st thing I do with every new machine is completely disassemble it and clean off all the packing grease and oil the parts and apply good lithium grease where needed. Not only does that help get you very familiar with the machine's design and how it operates it allows you to ensure that all parts are properly tightened and aligned and working properly.

After that get scrap stock material and practice. Best way to learn how to use this machine after you read up on some techniques is to just get your hands on it.

***** I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!! ALWAYS! ALWAYS!!! ALWAYS!!!!!!!!! WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WITH THIS MACHINE AND BENCH GRINDERS!!! ******

The cuttings that fly out are hot. Also be advised that some cuttings come off in long strips and are as sharp as razor wire. I've made so much 'razor wire' like steel wool it's not funny.

For your own safety and to protect your valuables always remove rings, necklaces, tie back long hair and stuff down the back of your shirt, wear safety glasses, use a fan to blow smoke from cutting oil away. Rings can also cause damage to what you're working on in the lathe.

As others mentioned use proper cutting speeds for the material you are working with. and make practice parts with cheaper material if working with expensive material. I worked with stainless steel which is expensive yet regular steel is cheap. I like to make my mistakes on the cheap stuff and adjust my techniques before I make the real thing.

Once you get the hang of using your lathe and mill to make your own parts and tools (yes you can even make your own taps and dies with drill rods and save a ton of money) you'll be in 7th heaven and the envy of your neighbors too.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome, thanks again all and keep em coming.

I keep reading on b4 answering questions, my bad. But here are its specs;
Speeds (RPM): 430, 800, 1050, 1500, 2000
Longitudinal stroke: 16"
Lateral stroke: 5-1/4"
Spindle bore: 7/8"
Drill chuck taper: B18
Drilling capacity: 5/8"
Max. spindle stroke: 3-1/4"
Dimensions: 35-5/8" x 23-1/4" x 31-5/8"
Shipping Weight: 462.84 lbs.

Main Technical Date
Max. swing dia. over bed 360mm
Max. dia. of turning (middle cabon steel) 40mm
Max. distance between centers 330mm
Max. longitudinal stroke 210mm
Max. transverse stroke 145mm
Morse taper of spindle hole No. 3
Bore dia of spindle 20mm
Morse taper of tailstock hole No. 2
Spindle speeds 500, 900, 1600r/min
Turning motor 370W
Max. drilling dia. 16mm
Morse taper of milling spindle hole No. 2
Max. dia. of end mill 12mm
Max. dia. of facer 63mm
Max. stroke of milling quill 75mm
Spindle speeds 5 steps 430~2000r/
min(220v/380v)
4 steps 430~1500r/min(110v)
Milling motor 250~370w
Area of bench (lxW) 155mm x 200mm
Turn - round of drilling - milling box +/- 90

LOL, just caught that it is 463 pounds!

My shop is, well was Carol's garage. Don't think a car has seen the inside of it for a year. Started out with "But I ride that bike every day and it needs to be in there" then a small work bench. Then a larger work bench, now 3 walls, a welding table engines, bikes and tools.

Man I love MBs. Always some thing to learn, do or try.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Ergh! Just typed a wall of text and as soon as I hit enter, got bumped off line.

Nope, it was there, lol

Does not come with any other tools that I know of.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan Greg here, I have used both a lathe and milling machine for over 30 years at work. You will be able to make what ever you can dream up! don't forget as was posted earlier glasses and ear plugs are a must. I wish I had worn the ear plugs more.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Was getting a physical to ship out on a tanker. (New job) Nurse who was putting me in this box told me that the old guys all did better then us young guys. (was a very long time ago) I asked why? Some of the guys were WW2 vets who sailed very large ships with very large guns who were being shot up with very large shells.

With out looking up, she said "you guys play your music to loud" Cracked me up at the time but am noticing it now.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
First (prolly dumb) question. I want to make a part that enlarges the predators drive shaft Dia. 5/8 to 3/4. Also lengthen it by drilling out a 3/4 round stock with a 5/8 bit then milling a slit in for the keys. One on the drive shaft and one for the keyway on the sleeve/part.

How do I go about drilling it out? In researching this tool, turns out (big time bummer), it cant do threads? I thought I could add a chuck to drive a shaft in to drill it out. (Told ya might be a dumb question) Or am I resigned to using the drill and try and center it?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Dan the slide device with the center punch comes out on most and a chuck goes in, can't tell if this machine has that feature.
Went back and looked again, looks like the anvil has a mic. on it so if the center pin comes out you can drill the shaft.

Last edited:

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
To drill it out, I would use drill bit in a chuck mounted on the tailstock, with the shaft in a 4 jaw chuck, dialed in for greatest accuracy. 3 jaw will do but will prolly be a few thousands off center.

When you spin the shaft against a stationary drill, the drill automaticly follows dead center.

I would drill it undersize and use a boring tool sneak up on the desired diameter.

I would make a sleeve that is a slip fit, then cut a slot for a key, and use a wide keystock to traverse all the keyways.

You could prolly make one from bushing stock tubing, from Aircraft Spruce.

I also think that I have seen such bushings for sale somewhere, like Graingers or McMasters

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Kool and thanks again. Always a way.
Kinda panicking. Lots of money, dang thing is 2ce as big as I thought and was worried it would not do the one thing I bought it for. Just buyer's remorse I guess.

Really am grateful for you guys, thanks !!!